Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Japanese company Renesas has agreed to buy the Anglo-German chipmaker Dialog Semiconductor for €4.9 billion euros in cash, boosting its position in low-power technology and connectivity across smart devices, cars and industry.
- Nexthink, a Swiss enterprise software firm founded 17 years ago, has reached unicorn status in a fresh funding round as the coronavirus pandemic significantly increased demand for its products. The company, which specialises in digital employee experience (or ‘DEX’) management software, has secured $180 million in a Series D financing round at an enterprise valuation of $1.1 billion.
- Venture capital firm Jerusalem Venture Partners (JVP) is raising a new $450 million fund to invest in late-stage companies.
- Napster is to make its debut on the London stock market later this month, marking the first time the music streaming pioneer has had its own public listing in a chequered 22-year history. Napster, which will start trading on the Alternative Investment Market from 26 February, is listing in London as a result of the company’s $70 million reverse takeover by a British music tech startup last summer.
- UK-based challenger bank Monzo is raised a further £50 million in equity funding from existing shareholders and one new investor, Silicon Valley firm Octahedron Capital.
- Isotropic Systems, a UK-based developer of broadband terminal technologies, has secured north of $40 million in funding to double down on the development of its multi-beam antennas.
- France’s Homa Games has raised $15 million to enhance its factory for building hypercasual mobile games. The seed round is a big one for Europe, but the publisher and developer already has more than 30 apps and games in its portfolio.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Europe’s antitrust chief, Margrethe Vestager, has warned Apple to give equal treatment to all apps on its platform amid the iPhone maker’s privacy changes that have drawn charges of anti-competitive practices from rival Facebook.
- Airbnb will tighten control of short-term rentals advertised on its site in several French cities including Paris, by throwing out those without formal registration numbers.
- Amazon plans to buy half of the energy produced by a huge new wind farm in the Netherlands.
- European Union countries should use a chunk of the bloc’s €750 billion recovery fund to set up 5G corridors to help the bloc bounce back from the coronavirus pandemic, Europe’s digital chief said today.
- Government agency La French Tech has picked 120 French tech scale-ups to watch. You can find the list here.
- The Portuguese presidency of the EU has pitched a new text on the controversial ePrivacy regulation, focusing on the processing of communications metadata and data stored on end-user equipment, according to the latest proposal, obtained by EURACTIV.
- Europe’s Grocery Delivery Firms Awash With Cash And 15-Minute Promises (Forbes)
- The European Commission’s Research Executive Agency has come under questioning from judges at the Court of Justice of the EU as part of a case focusing on why the agency refuses to disclose documents on the controversial ‘iBorderCtrl’ project.
- Tandem Bank has acquired Bank and Client’s £100 million mortgage book.
Today's Top Tweets
1. Big news out of Stride today everyone! In 2021, Harry and I will be blazing new trails, but we will be hiking to different coordinates 👀 pic.twitter.com/FPl7WFHlpl
— Fred Destin (@fdestin) February 7, 2021
Monzo confirms it's raising an extra £50M to top up its Series G round. Valuation remains unchanged from last year (£1.25B - a 40% discount to 2019).
— Ryan Browne (@Ryan_Browne_) February 8, 2021
If you missed the #European #Tech wins recap from yesterday on @joinClubhouse by @robinwauters & friends, here are the cliff notes I just asked them about. 🤗👀⤵️ https://t.co/qS67UozHPx
— Elisheva Marcus (@ElishevaMarcus) February 8, 2021
Proud to have been included among the top global mobile app publishers by @appannie. The Level Up Publisher Awards recognize some of the world's most innovative brands and publishers - thrilled to have made the top 3 in the Food & Drink category!#likeheroes #deliveryhero pic.twitter.com/5K1ma25SQG
— Delivery Hero (@deliveryherocom) February 8, 2021
I’ll be running “The midweek media show ” with @dseemo, @Kiteaton, @stokel and @robinwauters. Wednesday, 10 Feb at 4:00 pm GMT on @joinclubhouse. Join us! https://t.co/bcpEWn3XvM
— Mike Butcher (@mikebutcher) February 8, 2021
Groceries delivery space in Greece is heating up 🔥
- @InstaShopUAE launch in Thessaloniki
- @woltapp recent $530M round to expand beyond restaurant delivery & launch in Larissa
- @efoodgr new mini market delivery
- Smaller startups making a move including @Fertoapp @stoferno etc
— Greek Startup Pirate (@StartupPirateGR) February 8, 2021
The first UK Innovation Report, benchmarking the UK’s industrial and innovation performance in a global context, is now available, including data from @InvestEuropeEU.
Get the @IfMCambridge report: https://t.co/puO8HfgikC#VentureCapital #PrivateEquity #innovation @Cambridge_Uni
— Invest Europe (@InvestEuropeEU) February 8, 2021
Tougher to get a better endorsement than this one for @Ynsect (one of France's most highly-touted startups)... https://t.co/hoGgPFnC8e
— Chris O'Brien (@obrien) February 8, 2021
Caught up with one of the co-founders of the Hatch accelerator: Workshop looks to build Ireland as hub for aquaculture technologyhttps://t.co/V2LU8xvdlW
— Jonathan Keane (@J_K9) February 7, 2021
Let’s go 2021! Blippar has a lot in store for you this year, we are ready to meet the demand for augmented reality. https://t.co/OkK6PYas83
#augmentedreality #Blippar #AR
— Blippar (@blippar) February 8, 2021
🗣️Here's what’s needed to attract venture capital funding in Europe for your tech startup 📈
— Allied for Startups (@Allied4Startups) February 8, 2021
How close did we get to money without borders – instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free – in Q4? 🌎💸
Here's the full rundown 👉 https://t.co/2yONlzyIxs pic.twitter.com/McNBjVqaZs
— TransferWise (@TransferWise) February 8, 2021
Do you believe in magic?
Our Liam talks through the journey to Raspberry Silicon and the design process of the RP2040 chip.https://t.co/1PcE08OxX5 pic.twitter.com/HHu7wrXlTn
— Raspberry Pi (@Raspberry_Pi) February 8, 2021
Meet Gabe Helmy, our Personal Browser. Gabe is going to take you on a journey across the farthest corners of the web.
Wild Wild Web mini web series premieres on February 15.🚀Find out more: https://t.co/cTaHSFYAxG pic.twitter.com/Lr1oNfe5AT
— opera (@opera) February 8, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.
Would you like to write the first comment?Login to post comments