Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Israeli app monetization company IronSource is on track to becoming a listed company on Wall Street. SPAC Thoma Bravo Advantage will reportedly attempt to raise $1 billion and potentially give IronSource a valuation of $10 billion.
- UK-based food delivery service Deliveroo is seeking to raise £1 billion by selling new shares in its upcoming IPO on the London Stock Exchange. The company announced today that some of its existing shareholders, which include Amazon and Fidelity, will also sell some of their shares.
- Israeli broker eToro, which made its name with a social trading feature, is planning for a merger with a SPAC to publicly list its shares on Nasdaq. It is reportedly looking for a listing valuation of $10 billion.
- Lesson Nine, the German company behind language-learning app Babbel, is preparing to list on the Frankfurt stock exchange in a deal expected to value it at more than €1 billion.
- Former Commerzbank CEO Martin Blessing has launched the Amsterdam IPO of a SPAC targeting the acquisition on a fintech firm. The SPAC is called European FinTech IPO Company 1 (EFIC1) and the plan is to raise up to €415 million.
- Sweden's Northvolt has received a $14 billion order as a strategic lead supplier for premium battery cells for Volkswagen in Europe. VW will at the same time increase its stake in Northvolt.
- Infinigate, a German value-added distributor for cybersecurity and cloud solutions for the SME segment, has been sold by H.I.G to Bridgepoint, an international alternative asset fund management group.
- Intelligent data automation software maker Xceptor has just been snapped up by private equity firm Astorg from CBPE Capital. Terms of the deal were undisclosed.
- UK based deep-tech company FocalPoint has closed a Series-B round which saw a fresh £6 million line the coffers. The round was fully funded by Draper Esprit.
- French HR tech company HelloWork has made a domestic acquisition by snapping up Seekube, a company that specialises in virtual recruitment forums.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- As Europe’s tech industry blooms with the pandemic-induced shift to digital, heavyweight names in private equity are ready to gain more ground in the continent. KKR is one of them.
- UK regulator Ofcom is preparing a landmark review of net neutrality laws, one of the fundamental rules of the Internet, amid pressure from EE's boss over their worth.
- Nearly three years after a sweeping privacy law took effect in Europe, regulators are seeing more sanction decisions challenged and overturned as companies file appeals.
- What Estonia’s digital ID scheme can teach Europe.
- Russian Big Tech Yandex has launched Yandex.Pay, a payment service which can store its customers’ card details for e-commerce payments.
Today's Top Tweets
An interview with @bonatsos sharing his views on the Greek tech scene:
- the opportunity COVID presented
- why investors from US & other parts of Europe are now paying attention to what’s going on in Greece
- what can make the existing ecosystem leapfroghttps://t.co/nsRstYMpx9
— Greek Startup Pirate (@StartupPirateGR) March 15, 2021
Scoop: N26 has shrunk by at least 300 employees within the past year, the number going down from almost 1.500 full-time employees in April 2020 to 1.165 now.
The new head of HR is also leaving the company after only six months, as is the Director of Global Customer Service. https://t.co/qumtN5aLIU
— John Stanley Hunter (@JohnStanHunter) March 15, 2021
Interesting analysis on european investor appetite in SPACs.
This year could bring high-profile SPAC sponsors on the european market.
Check it out:#Refinitiv
Will SPACs Surge in Europe? | Data on the Data | Refinitiv https://t.co/oLGkGE1SbT via @YouTube
— €SPAC (@eurospac) March 15, 2021
🔜🗓️Happening this week: the launch of the full #EUeic!
➡️The Launch Ceremony, 18 March
➡️The Applicants Day, 19 March, which will provide full information & practical advice on how to apply
Follow the events on the @EUScienceInnov ’s YouTube channel👉 https://t.co/81GfZuA4ES pic.twitter.com/lym85cTH2z
— Oana Popescu (@OanaPopescuu) March 15, 2021
— AwakenHub (@AwakenHub) March 15, 2021
Apple says App Store supports over 330K jobs in the UK, up 10% YoY, with £3.6B in total earnings, up 22% YoY; App Store supports 1.7M jobs in Europe, up 7% YoY (@waxeditorial / MacRumors)https://t.co/2Y9tapZFFFhttps://t.co/Dj9nFPMwJF
— Techmeme (@Techmeme) March 15, 2021
— TechCrunch (@TechCrunch) March 15, 2021
📣 Calling innovators who’d like some help in scaling up their health tech startups: @WayraUK and @GEHealthcare’s EMEA Edison Accelerator is now open for applications!
>> https://t.co/otmRDXeWEE#wayra #gehealthcare #edisonaccelerator #healthtech #medtech #startups #accelerator pic.twitter.com/fSYw3Ua5TK
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) March 15, 2021
— HERE Technologies (@here) March 15, 2021
Great news that @stripe is to create 1000 extra jobs in Ireland over the next five years with an investment of €500m.
A big vote of confidence in Ireland and cements our position as a global technology hub.
— Micheál Martin (@MichealMartinTD) March 14, 2021
— Gründerszene (@gruenderszene) March 15, 2021
It's the weekend🥳, so go ahead & add the @tech_eu Podcast #210 🎙️ to your weekend listening.
Our very own @sonyaiovieno1 shares her insights on the key trends facing the #InnovationEconomy & latest funding news within the scaleup ecosystem🎧👇https://t.co/KZfE68AZL8 #SVBUK
— SVB UK (@SVB_UK) March 12, 2021
🌟Big news! @nordetect, a Rockstart AgriFood portfolio company, raised a €1.2m seed round led by @LuminateROC with Rockstart, @SOSV, @PreSeedVentures and @Vaekstfonden as co-investors. Congrats on this milestone achievement! 🥳https://t.co/YfHqbznEMz#nutrientanalysis #VC
— Rockstart (@rockstart) March 15, 2021
New brand, same company - investiere is now Verve Ventures!
Today, we are changing our brand to Verve Ventures. After 10 years as investiere, it’s time for a change ➡️ Watch the video from our co-founder Lukas Weber to find out more about this exciting change!#TeamVerve pic.twitter.com/uzDxV2SquU
— Verve Ventures (@VerveVentures) March 15, 2021
Will there be a post-Brexit financial services and fintech boom?
"The burgeoning UK fintech sector could soon thrive as never before."
By Anca Thomson, specialist corporate and commercial lawyer @ExcelloLawhttps://t.co/N0i3H8DaU9
— FinTech Futures (@FinTech_Futures) March 15, 2021
"“Our new investors will bring a wealth of experience as we enter the next stage of growth, while the continued support of our existing backers represents a huge vote of confidence,” comments Starling’s founder and CEO Anne Boden."#Banking
— Julian Winn 💙 💜 (@Winn_on_Health) March 15, 2021
"Through usage of renewable electricity, the process of splitting water into usable hydrogen is being seen as a potential carbon-free fuel source that could overtake our current dependency on coal, oil, and natural gas." - SOunds like music to my ears! ♥https://t.co/TjKKYpxjlm
— RenegadeThinker (@RenegadeThinke1) March 12, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.