Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Finnish mobile games company Metacore has secured a €150 million credit line from crosstown friend Supercell. This credit line adds on two Supercell’s previous faith in the company, investing €5 million in 2018, and €15 million in 2020, as well as a €10 million credit line.
- Valmont, a global leader in designing and manufacturing products and services for infrastructure development and agricultural productivity, is acquiring Israeli agtech company Prospera Technologies for $300 million.
- UK-based global technology investor Amadeus Capital Partners recently announced the closing at £110 million of its latest early-stage, deep tech investment platform, the Amadeus V Technology Fund, which includes a cornerstone commitment by British Patient Capital.
- Israeli digital health company Vim has completed a $60 million financing round from leading US healthcare funds.
- Israeli cloud-based website development SaaS platform company Wix.com has acquired fellow Israeli startup Rise.ai, which has developed a gift card and customer re-engagement solution for online brands.
- Israel's Pecan AI has completed a $35 million Series B funding round led by global investor GGV Capital for its predictive analytics platform.
- Utmost, the Irish tech company co-founded by tech veteran Annrai O’Toole, has raised $21 million in a Series B round for its ‘extended workforce’ platform.
- Munich’s edtech startup StudySmarter has raised $15 million in a Series A round with ambitions to become the world’s central hub for learning.
- Germany-based metal industry digital trading and price intelligence platform Metalshub has raised $11 million in a Series A round in their move to kill email and spreadsheet commercial trading for good. The round was led by Acton Capital and saw participation from existing investors Point Nine, Chrome Invest, and several angel investors.
- Berlin-based growth equity firm Verdane has acquired a minority stake in the Swedish customer experience business Voyado for an undisclosed sum.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Swedish buy now, pay later giant Klarna has opened a new headquarter office in London and larger premises in Manchester as it prepares to double its UK headcount to 400 staff over the next year.
- Nokia has launched a blockchain-powered Data Marketplace as-a-service to facilitate secure sharing of data and AI models.
- MEPs need to go “line by line” through the European Commission’s “complex” proposed rules on artificial intelligence to ensure there won’t be a heavy burden on innovators, says Dragoș Tudorache, Romanian MEP and chair of the European Parliament’s committee on AI.
Today's Top Tweets
Data shows European seed is underfunded compared to US & China. We see huge opportunity in this space and are focused on being the first money in pic.twitter.com/J3O25tgImR
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) May 5, 2021
Today is a big day for our company and team. I'm absolutely ecstatic to share the news that we have signed an incredible deal with @stevewoz and his company @WOZEDK12 to change the future of millions of learners by virtualizing hardware. https://t.co/1V48oe7L3I
— Adam Dalton (@robotiguy) May 5, 2021
.@moosend, the email marketing & marketing automation platform, is acquired by @Sitecore! Sitecore is a customer experience management company led by @Tzikakis that has raised over $1B from @eqt according to CB.
Big congrats to the Moosend team!https://t.co/2klJYshFHy
— Greek Startup Pirate (@StartupPirateGR) May 5, 2021
— C i t y m a p p e r (@Citymapper) May 5, 2021
We're delighted to introduce our newest growth programme: Libra♎
Libra 1.0 will focus on the Black founder experience, helping underrepresented leaders navigate the scaling journey and unlock their full potential.
Find out more and apply today https://t.co/qLgnmuZ2PZ
— Tech Nation (@TechNation) May 5, 2021
*New Episode*: Joyce Mackenzie Liu, Founder and CEO of Pegafund on: 3 Ingredients for a Successful Fundraise and Other Strategies for Predictable Growth
Listen at https://t.co/L6sopoVrq3 #startups #entrepreneurship #podcast #podernfamily
— Anita Moorthy (@anitamoorthy) May 5, 2021
— Aoife White (@aoifewhite101) May 5, 2021
The imec.istart Fund grows to 30.5 mio EUR! Big thanks to our existing partners (@vlaamseoverheid, @imecVlaanderen, @INGBelgie, @BNPPFBelgie, @Telenet & @CronosGroep) and new partners (@verhaertmii, @Nuhma_klimaat, EFIN & Vlaamse EnergieHolding)! https://t.co/P7J2gxECI0
— imec.istart (@imecistart) May 5, 2021
— Robin Dechant (@robindchnt) May 5, 2021
On the day feedback on the Commission's proposals for the Digital Markets Act & the Digital Services Act closes, I thought I'd do another thread paying heed to the voices that are often drowned out in the theatre of screams that is the #DMA & #DSA policy debate...1/12
— Samuel Stolton (@SamuelStolton) May 5, 2021
The Estonian government’s e-Residency programme @e_Residents today announces a global expansion.
"New collection points have been opened in São Paulo, Bangkok, Singapore and Johannesburg, making e-Residency cards now available for collection at nearly 50 locations worldwide."
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 5, 2021
@HelmesHQ is a software development business that caters to more than 500 clients internationally. They join Funderbeam as a privately traded company offering their existing shareholders and employees an opportunity to trade their shares.
Read more here: https://t.co/BKj7vcdhiO
— Funderbeam (@funderbeam) May 5, 2021
Catch the extraordinary @AnaUlilah on @tech_eu's #ToThePoint panel next Wednesday.
We can't wait to tune in and listen to Ana's pearls of wisdom, alongside this impressive lineup of speakers!
Sign up here https://t.co/ewyW06mzlx https://t.co/WPb8w44kv8
— INCLUDED VC (@INCLUDED_VC) May 5, 2021
#EITDigitalChallenge is looking for the most innovative deep tech #scaleups, to help them grow internationally!
⏰ LAST CHANCE: Deadline for applications 10 May! ⏰
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 5, 2021
#Copyright: A French Senate committee today adopted an amendment that would require platforms such as Google and Facebook to strike licensing deals with press publishers or face fines in case state arbitration doesn’t work. https://t.co/csPkHXmE8M
— Laura Kayali (@LauKaya) May 5, 2021
How to develop #SME #Cybersecurity #Resilience in Europe?
This evening, Technical Coordinator of #cyberGEIGER project @josefran_ruiz @AtosES will join the @CyberSec4Europe panel discussion with @DigitalEU, @EUdigitalsme, and @cyberwiser!
Sign up - you're still on time! ⏰ https://t.co/awwJ21HlmT
— GEIGER (@cybergeiger) May 5, 2021
— Silicon Luxembourg (@SiliconLux) May 5, 2021
Building the next generation of #DeliveryHero engineers
We are excited to share with you the launch of ‘Delivery Hero Tech Academy’ in partnership with Digital Career Institute.
For more info about #DHTA please follow the link bellowhttps://t.co/SHWmFTvSOd #likeheroes
— Delivery Hero (@deliveryherocom) May 5, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.