Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Munich-based ‘execution management’ software maker Celonis has announced a monster $1 billion Series D round, giving it a post-money valuation north of $11 billion. The round, which was led by new backers Durable Capital Partners and T. Rowe Price Associates, follows a $290 million Series C round announced in November 2019.
- Seeking to reach a younger audience, e-commerce platform Etsy is planning on acquiring London-based Gen Z fashion marketplace Depop for a cool $1.62 billion. Depop will retain its existing offices and no staffing changes are planned.
- Munich-based mobility scale-up FlixMobility, the group behind FlixBus and FlixTrain, has raised over $650 million in a mix of equity and debt financing, giving the company a valuation of $3 billion.
- Take-Two Interactive has announced that it has acquired privately-held Serbian mobile games developer Nordeus for up to $378 million. The upfront price of $225 million is comprised of cash and $90 million in newly issued shares of Take-Two common stock.
- Berlin-based micro-mobility firm TIER has secured a $60 million loan from Goldman Sachs. The asset-backed financing is a first of its kind for Goldman Sachs, and signals a new era for the micro-mobility sector.
- Israeli shared neighborhood company Venn today announced that it has completed a $60 million Series B financing round led by Group 11, with participation from Pitango, Hamilton Lane and Bridges Israel.
- German startup Cognigy which is a global leader in omnichannel Customer and Employee Service Automation with its Conversational AI platform Cognigy.AI has pocketed $44 million in Series B funding.
- Paris-based automated digital marketing solutions provider Artur’in has secured €42 million via PSG.
- Helsinki-based e-commerce platform Nosto has acquired content marketing startup Stackla. This marks Nosto’s first acquisition and provides a strong entrance into the Australian and Southeast Asian markets.
- London-based white-label platform for retail finance Divido has raised $30 million in a Series B round led by HSBC and ING.
- Comunix, an Israeli social gaming startup and the company behind the game Pokerface, announced on Wednesday that it has secured $30 million in series A funding, bringing the total raised by the company to $33 million to date.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- The European Commission has announced a partnership with Bill Gates’ sustainable energy funding vehicle with the goal of unlocking new investments for clean tech and sustainable energy projects totalling up to $1 billion over five years (2022-2026).
- Sometimes, expanding to the US is the smart thing to do: Kaia Health’s transatlantic tale.
- An innovation manifesto outlining eight areas on which the EU should focus in the creation of the proposed single European innovation area, puts tech sovereignty at the top of the list of priorities.
Today's Top Tweets
When Alex, Bastian & Martin started @Celonis as students in 2011, process mining was an academic niche. Now, the company is the global leader in execution management & NYC & Germany's most valuable startup. Huge congratulations to the team! https://t.co/EDjKFIOoW9
— Harry Nelis (@hnelis) June 2, 2021
In <10yrs Depop has:
- given 30M users in 150 countries the chance to create, restyle & resell their fashion
- given a whole generation its first experience of entrepreneurship, with 90% of users <26
- led the way in the sustainability movement by championing pre-loved fashion
— James Wise (@jpwiseuk) June 2, 2021
Today marks the launch of @01_Founders & its bold mission to train +100,000 diverse software engineers across the UK.
Applications are open for its #tuitionfree programme that's both study+placement - in collaboration with @01Edu_ & @capitalcitycg https://t.co/Fiw5rFf36U
— Founders Forum (@Founders_Forum) June 2, 2021
With the #EUGreenDeal, Europe can become the continent of climate innovation.
Glad to invest with @BillGates and @Breakthrough Energy in next generation climate technologies.
So the EU industry can reap the benefits of the green transition and create the jobs of tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/qRUITpzl8H
— Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen) June 2, 2021
The job ad for the head of ARIA (the much hyped UK version of DARPA) is live. You should have "a confidence that many
seemingly impossible challenges can in fact be overcome, even if it involves transforming our fundamental
understanding of the world” https://t.co/YYNsVX3Ae7
— James Cook (@JamesLiamCook) June 2, 2021
Virtuous #startup cycles: Focusing on #CEE & #Turkey, @UiPath seeks interesting #B2B #software automation cos for the UiPath Automation Awards 2021, to enable further development of creative business ideas & foster capacity to scale early-stage cos & entrepreneurial ventures. https://t.co/BTIf8OCGa1
— Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) June 2, 2021
“We integrated more banks in the last six months than Tink managed in a whole year. Having less legacy technology to maintain means we can move a lot faster.” Our portfolio company @nordigen @RolandsMesters is setting new rules for open banking https://t.co/HPQ9ep9EpP
— Inventure (@InventureVC) June 2, 2021
E-scooters may be a lot of fun, but the regulatory patchwork across Europe makes the micromobility landscape hard to navigate.
A unified EU-wide set of regulations can't come soon enough, writes @SamuelStolton https://t.co/hmZcWJntyK
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 2, 2021
Congratulations to @depop on today's news that it will be acquired by Etsy!
"Depop is a shining example of how businesses can succeed by obsessively focussing on their community & of how generational shifts create new opportunities." @jpwiseukhttps://t.co/sgNiew98WJ pic.twitter.com/7VwWvABr20
— Balderton Capital (@balderton) June 2, 2021
We've just received the latest updates from #eicPathfinder Open call!
Results coming end of September. In the meantime, learn more https://t.co/7AEj6Ttle7 pic.twitter.com/OCF2CMfDEW
— European Innovation Council (@EUeic) June 2, 2021
We are extremely proud with the arrival of The House of Quantum at TU Delft Campus. The House is to be known as the smartest 12,000 ‘square meters of quantum’ in Europe - built around an ecosystem of companies, investors and researchers. Read more: https://t.co/TWx9LeszCF pic.twitter.com/pEQI33eriq
— TU Delft Campus (@tudelftcampus) June 2, 2021
— €SPAC (@eurospac) June 2, 2021
@Relevation13, a two-day digital event of match-making between investors & #PropTech startups, will take place on 23-24 June 2021.
Get ready to create meaningful relations with future business partners – book your tickets now https://t.co/OONILAUp5k pic.twitter.com/Nx3VluUSjn
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 2, 2021
New addition to the @Ananda_Ventures portfolio: @OroraTech provides global wildfire detection and monitoring services. The €5.8 million Series A funding round is led by Findus Ventures and Ananda, with @apex_vc and Bayern Kapital https://t.co/MyO86kVPbY
— Aline Vedder (@AlineVedder) June 2, 2021
— Marios Karatzias (@MariosKaratzias) June 2, 2021
Fresh out of the press. Our brand new newsletter. https://t.co/za3aDVS2q4
— Dieter von Holtzbrinck Ventures (@DvHVentures) June 2, 2021
Tomorrow we're holding a Q&A session on our newest programme: Libra 1.0.
Attendees will get:
Application help and support for potential applicants
Info on what makes Libra stand out from other programmes
❓The background of the programmehttps://t.co/z8d0yzLQcZ pic.twitter.com/Fchy0mtwg2
— Tech Nation (@TechNation) June 2, 2021
Congrats to F10 Alumni #FQX! Zurich-based digital promissory note #fintech FQX raises $4.7 million in seed funding - https://t.co/RFhM88TkRL https://t.co/uDqjjVgLlr by @tech_eu@EarlybirdVC led the round with participation of @sixgroup Fintech Ventures!#VC #funding
— F10 Global (@F10_accelerator) June 2, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.