Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Swedish fintech scale-up Klarna is looking to raise up $1 billion at a $31 billion valuation.
- UK-based virtual events platform Hopin is reportedly nearing the end of a Series C fundraise in which it is looking to raise roughly $400 million at a pre-money valuation of $5 billion.
- US private equity giant Francisco Partners is acquiring Israel-based genealogy company MyHeritage. The companies didn't disclose the sum of the acquisition, but the deal is believed to be valued at $600 million and it may even increase further.
- Apax Partners, the majority owner of Spanish online real estate classifieds platform idealista until EQT acquired the company for €1.3 billion, has re-invested in the business, coughing up €250 million for a 17% stake.
- Wallapop, a virtual marketplace based out of Barcelona, has raised €157 million at a valuation of €690 million. The funding was led by Korelya Capital, a French VC fund backed by Korea’s Naver, with Accel, Insight Partners, 14W, GP Bullhound and Northzone — all previous backers of Wallapop — also participating.
- Israeli storage processor and database acceleration company Pliops announced today that it has completed a $65 million financing round led by Koch Disruptive Technologies.
- NIL Technology, a Danish specialist in advanced optical solutions has carried out a financing round of €26 million. The financing was co-led by Jolt Capital, NGP Capital and Vaekstfonden, with EIC Fund as a new significant investor.
- Israeli online car buying company Gettacar today announced the closing of a $25 million financing round, bringing the amount raised by the company to $48 million.
- Munich-based startup Everdrop has raised an €18 million Series A funding round led by Felix Capital, with participation from HV Capital and Vorwerk Ventures, for its dissolvable cleaning tablet.
- Founda Health, an Amsterdam startup that says it’s bringing fintech-style ‘platformization’ to healthcare, has raised a $15 million seed funding round from an undisclosed group of healthcare and fintech entrepreneurs.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Today, the European Commission launched the first-stage consultation of social partners on how to improve the working conditions for people working through digital labour platforms.
- Spain is preparing to push forward with pro-startup legislation, having recently unveiled a big and bold transformation plan with the headline goal, by 2030, of turning the country into ‘Spain Entrepreneurial Nation’.
- The EU Commission proposed today a new Roaming Regulation, which will prolong the current rules that are due to expire in 2022, for another 10 years.
- The European Payments Initiative, a bank-backed joint venture that aims to build a rival to Mastercard and Visa, has put out a Request for Information for 'qualified technical partners' to help build its central infrastructure.
- Some of the best known tech companies in Ireland have teamed up with the University of Limerick (UL) for a new and radically different computer science course. More than a dozen tech companies, including Stripe, Intercom and Workday, are partnering with the university for its new immersive software engineering programme.
- German micromobility company Tier has teamed up with Northvolt, a Swedish supplier of battery cells and systems, to improve the sustainability of e-scooter batteries, reduce raw material needs and lower associated emissions.
- Wildberries is Russia’s dominant web store, and now its billionaire founder is targeting western Europe.
- Buy now, pay later schemes are expected to account for 10 percent of all UK e-commerce sales by 2024, according to data compiled by Worldpay.
- Chinese ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing plans to make its debut in Western Europe, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg, as the company seeks new growth markets ahead of a long-awaited initial public offering.
Today's Top Tweets
Super excited to welcome some incredible angel investors onboard for our pre-seed round! This financing will support our team in further developing the @imagilabs app and growing our community - let’s get thousands more girls into coding this year! https://t.co/XZ7qWMWMKw 🚀 👩💻
— Dora Palfi (@dorapalfi) February 24, 2021
— Alex Humphreys (@allyhumphreys) February 23, 2021
Platform work is developing rapidly in the EU.
It can offer new job opportunities but can also pose important challenges for policymaking.
— European Commission 🇪🇺 (@EU_Commission) February 24, 2021
— Daniel Waterhouse (@wanderingvc) February 24, 2021
Here’s an interesting one: we hear @babylonhealth, the $2 billion-valued UK-based digital healthcare company, has fielded incoming requests from a number of SPACs, likely from the US.
The company just announced the expansion of its C-suite in the States: https://t.co/cjcKR7znUS
— Robin Wauters @ Tech.eu (@robinwauters) February 24, 2021
Bravo to our alumni Hans, CEO & co-founder of https://t.co/KxE7M2Zan1, for closing a funding round of $3.6 million! 👏
He attended our web dev course and has since successfully launched https://t.co/KxE7M2Zan1, a collaborative tax management platform https://t.co/5kDJSOfwF9
— Le Wagon Brussels (@LeWagonBrussels) February 24, 2021
It’s getting harder and harder to tell if it’s parody. Getting a dot-com vibe here. https://t.co/iksphqX0Ev
— Nikos Moraitakis (@moraitakis) February 24, 2021
We’re thrilled to join #everdrop on their journey to make the world a cleaner place, one home at a time! With @HV_Capital and Vorwerk Group, and the everdrop team, we can't wait to make #sustainability the No.1 choice for everyone 💚🌎https://t.co/67H5HGS6ce
— Felix Capital (@FelixCapital) February 24, 2021
How to get into Venture Capital ? How to win interviews and offers ? For all VC-aspiring people or anyone interested in the #VC world, head here to get some advices on finding an #internship in a fund. 💪@AmestoyMarie#intern #jobopportunity #analyst
— XAnge (@XAngeVC) February 23, 2021
What questions would you ask him? What about the GC journey would you like to hear more about?
— James Wise (@jpwiseuk) February 24, 2021
In the early days of @thingtesting_, I poured over @ForerunnerVC’s portfolio to find brands to test next. Now Forerunner has led our $2 million seed, and adding them as our partners on this journey feels like coming home. https://t.co/9f4AZzsZgY
— Jenny Gyllander (@gyllanderjenny) February 24, 2021
You've heard about the initiatives from 🇫🇷🇩🇪🇦🇹🇵🇱 on online content moderation legislation but don't know where to start?
🦸DOT Europe's got you covered!
We have meticulously mapped 🇪🇺 legal frameworks tackling illegalities online ⤵️https://t.co/HdTzWQSoQY
— DOT Europe (formerly EDiMA) (@DOTEurope) February 24, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.