The tech.eu Podcast is a show in which we discuss some of the most interesting stories from the European technology scene and interview leading entrepreneurs and investors from across the region.
This week, we talk about some of the biggest stories in European tech from the past week, including Apple’s victory against the EU in its fight against a $14.8 billion back-tax bill in Ireland, the invalidation of the Privacy Shield and more. Later in the show, you’ll hear an interview from our own Andrii Degeler with Oscar Werner, the CEO of Stockholm, Sweden-based cloud communications platform company Sinch.
Also, on this very day exactly 5 years ago, we published our first podcast! We hope you’ve been enjoying it at least as much as we have making them – and we’ll continue to do so.
You can find the latest episode embedded below.
Subscribe to the podcast today and don’t miss new episodes:
And here are the notes and links for this week’s episode:
Apple and Ireland mark victory on €13 billion tax bill appeal
- Commission loses out in Apple-Ireland tax battle, announces tax abuse clampdown (Euractiv)
- Apple has €13bn Irish tax bill overturned (BBC News)
- Apple just won a mammoth victory over Europe’s ‘tax lady.’ But the fight is far from over (Fortune)
Privacy Shield: invalidated
- US-EU Privacy Shield data sharing agreement struck down by court (Ars Technica)
- The background to EU citizens’ court win over US tech giants (The Guardian)
- Court of Justice of the European Union invalidates EU-U.S. Privacy Shield, while standard contractual clauses survive (for now) (Lexology)
UiPath raises $225 million at ‘decacorn’ valuation
- UiPath raises $225 million to automate repetitive back-office tasks (Venturebeat)
- UiPath’s $225M Round: What Does This Mean For RPA (Robotic Process Automation)? (Forbes)
- $10 Billion Robotic Software Firm UiPath Eyes 2021 U.S. IPO (Bloomberg)
Alibaba wants to buy Glovo
- El gigante chino Alibaba negocia la compra de Glovo (Crónica Global)
UK to bar Huawei from 5G networks after US pressure
- U.K. Bars Huawei for 5G as Tech Battle Between China and the West Escalates (The New York Times)
- UK to phase out Huawei gear from 5G networks in a major policy U-turn after U.S. sanctions (CNBC)
- Pressure from Trump led to 5G ban, Britain tells Huawei (The Guardian)
Teamviewer buys Ubimax
- Teamviewer buy augmented reality firm Ubimax (Reuters)
- Teamviewer acquires industrial AR solutions company Ubimax to strengthen its AR, IoT business (The Tech Portal)