Here's what happened today in European Tech:
- Personio, an all-in-one HR platform for small- and medium-sized businesses, has announced $125 million of Series D funding in an investment round that values the German business at $1.7 billion.
- London-based flower and gift delivery startup Bloom & Wild has announced £75 million in new funding after a year that saw 160 percent growth.
- Heal Capital, a young German investment firm that is keen to back European health tech ventures at the early stages of their businesses, has closed on a €100 million fund.
- Maps.me, an offline travel app that includes both routes and local business recommendations, has raised $50 million to add a multi-currency wallet to its platform. Led by Alameda Capital, the round was joined by two cryptocurrency investors, Genesis Capital and CMS Holdings.
- Zurich-based fintech company Numbrs announced it closed a funding round back in December, topping €25 million to roll out a new subscription service and fuel growth in new and existing markets.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- A long-running investigation in the European Union focused on the transparency of data-sharing between Facebook and WhatsApp has taken the first major step towards a resolution. Ireland’s Data Protection Commission (DPC) confirmed Saturday it sent a draft decision to fellow EU DPAs towards the back end of last year.
- Facebook has started the process of appointing a legal entity as a local representative in Turkey in compliance with a new social media law which critics have said will muzzle dissent.
- Spain’s new taxes on digital and financial services, approved last year, came into force on Saturday (16 January). The first collection is expected in March or April.
- Listed alternative lender Funding Circle is performing better than expected, according to a trading update from the company, with the SME platform expecting to turn a profit of at least £15 million in the second half of 2020.
- The data regulator for the German state of Lower Saxony has fined a local laptop retailer a whopping €10.4 million for keeping its employees under constant video surveillance at all times for the past two years without a legal basis.
$16b Takeaway https://t.co/Ju0uElX2ws
— Thijs Niks (@thijsniks) January 18, 2021
Getting contacted by lots more European funds that want to launch angel/scout programs. Promising ✨
— Roxanne Varza (@roxannevarza) January 18, 2021
I've just incorporated a company (in the Startup Nation), and to open a bank account I need to order a physical ink stamp, wait 7 working days for it to be delivered, print bank documents, stamp them, and take them to the bank branch where the bank can stamp and store them.
— Amir Mizroch (@Amirmizroch) January 18, 2021
few of the Northzone companies on 🔥 past year@PersonioHR > $1.7bn@GetKahoot > $6bn@fuboTV > $4bn@tierscooters > $1bn@Klarna > $10bn@Hopin > $2bn@Trustpilot > $1bn
and more coming soon https://t.co/jhBlfVkPuW
— Paul Murphy (@paulbz) January 18, 2021
Internships are a 2-way street where both sides learn. 🙌🏽
In a new #interview get a fresh perspective from our #intern Benedikt on core skills useful in #VC, what a day-in-the-life looks like & how VC can evolve thru nextgen influence & tech.
Hop over👇🏽 https://t.co/1iP0kiMvj1
— Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) January 18, 2021
2020 turned out to be a blockbuster year for startup fundraising in France.
These mega-rounds were extremely rare until just a few years ago when startups like @BlaBlaCar & @sigfox broke through with rounds north of €100m.
Via @tech_eu ⬇️https://t.co/FEQ2GQSFTb
— Hampleton Partners - Tech Dealmakers (@TeamHampleton) January 17, 2021
☕☀️ Startup your week with our #newsletter
🇵🇹 What does the Portuguese Presidency of the Council mean for startups?
⛔ European Commission’s fund: With startup friendly legislation, funding follows
🚀 Stock option reform makes for better #startupshttps://t.co/LjHYiS5Tle pic.twitter.com/9FXL7HsLQb
— Allied for Startups (@Allied4Startups) January 18, 2021
If you want to stay informed and keep up in real time with what is going on in Europe, @tech_eu is the go to and a one stop shop. #Startups #ScaleUps #Tech #VC https://t.co/A09BXpV3k9
— Henry Joseph-Grant (@speirin) January 18, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.
Would you like to write the first comment?Login to post comments