Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Paris-based Amazon FBA business Branded Group has come out of stealth with $150 million in funding, saying that since quietly opening for business in mid-2020 it has already acquired 20 startups in categories like home, leisure and lifestyle across Europe, United States, and Asia.
- Israeli cybersecurity company Armis has announced the closing of a $125 million financing round led by Brookfield Asset Management at a company valuation of $2 billion.
- Finch Capital, a VC based in Amsterdam and London, has announced the first close of its €150 million fund, Europe III, which will go to fintech and AI companies shaping the future of finance.
- Israeli cybersecurity platform company SentinelOne announced the acquisition of US cloud-scale data analytics platform Scalyr for $155 million in cash and equity.
- Koa Health, a Barcelona-based digital mental healthcare provider, has announced it closed an oversubscribed €30 million Series A funding round.
- Nothing, a new consumer device company based in London, has raised a $15 million Series A round led by GV. Just two months ago, the company announced $7 million in seed funding from the likes of Casey Neistat, Kevin Lin (co-founder of Twitch), Steve Huffman (co-founder and CEO of Reddit), Josh Buckley, Liam Casey and Paddy Cosgrave (founder of WebSummit).
- UK-based online personalised gift retailer notonthehighstreet has been bought by a US private equity firm after seeing annual sales jump 50% thanks to the surge in online shopping.
- Globacap, a London-based fintech that is working to automate capital markets, has completed a $9 million Series A extension to fuel the roll-out of its private placement platform.
- In the UK, credit referencing giant Equifax has acquired AccountScore in bid to boost its open banking strategy.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- The European Commission wants to tap the bloc's multibillion-euro coronavirus recovery fund to support a series of technology projects in areas where European firms have fallen behind competitors in the United States and Asia.
- European VC ecosystem on the rise, says new report.
- Digital innovations should be used as a tool for environmental protection and climate action, but we must act now, Germany’s minister for the environment, Svenja Schulze, told EURACTIV in an interview.
- CD Projekt, the Polish developer of troubled sci-fi video game Cyberpunk 2077, was hit with a cyberattack.
- On Safer Internet Day, Commissioner Mariya Gabriel writes for EURACTIV that young people should be given more support in media literacy, allowing them to avoid the pitfalls of disinformation across the online world.
- Big investors are pouring money into warehouses in Europe as online shopping for goods — some all the way from China — takes off in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
- A single pitfall early-stage VCs should not fall into in 2021.
- According to new research carried out by not-for-profit think tank the OpenForum Europe (OFE), not levering the open-source ecosystem could be costing the EU hundreds of billions of euros every year.
- Wealthy German high-tech hub doubles as anti-vaxxer base.
- The European Central bank is toying with the idea of imposing a €3000 limit on consumer CBDC accounts to discourage users from transferring all their cash from commercial banks to the central bank.
- How Exoticca survived the travel apocalypse.
Today's Top Tweets
— Invest Europe (@InvestEuropeEU) February 9, 2021
— Capital-Riesgo.es (@CapitalRiesgo1) February 9, 2021
Today @EU_Commission adopted the Joint Communication on a Renewed Partnership w/ the Southern Mediterranean.
🔑 #Research & #innovation & #education are key to enhancing growth & creating #sustainable employment opportunities in the region.
👉 https://t.co/E0kNs31zTn pic.twitter.com/UwWkzEf5di
— Mariya Gabriel (@GabrielMariya) February 9, 2021
The latest French Tech Journal (@FRTechJournal): Discussing the new French Tech40/120 with @EthanPierse, @katborlongan, @CaroleJuge of @JooneParis, and @eKeraudy of @CybelAngel.
Topics: The government's central role, exits, and international talent.https://t.co/huov2XWG78
— Chris O'Brien (@obrien) February 9, 2021
Tips for VCs who just started investing in France:
"rowee" is ROI
'merrr" is MRR
"Link-HUD-in' is actually LinkedIn
— Fred Destin (@fdestin) February 9, 2021
— Florian Graillot (@FGraillot) February 9, 2021
— Kris Peeters (@peeters_kris1) February 9, 2021
Shouldn't we wait to see how the EU's existing copyright directive works out in practice before trying to augment it? https://t.co/fVr5MT8Fdb
— David Meyer (@superglaze) February 9, 2021
Every year @Mosaic_VC Venture Partner @benedictevans produces an in-depth report digging into macro and strategic trends in the tech industry, here is this years: The Great Unbundling https://t.co/toIUQ3Pkfg
— Mosaic (@Mosaic_VC) February 9, 2021
— AltFi (@AltFiNews) February 9, 2021
Another insightful podcast to listen to! 🎧 This week our Partner @ItxasoLondon joined @WUFStartup to discuss the world of B2B enterprise SaaS, from finding product-market fit to the impact of COVID-19. Link below 👇https://t.co/iXr9xAgPK8#podcast #SaaS https://t.co/JMUPUHiIvD
— Notion Capital (@NotionCapital) February 9, 2021
— David Grunwald (@st_eppel) February 9, 2021
We've updated our Digital Markets Strategy, setting out our key priorities including:
💻 Working to establish the Digital Markets Unit in the CMA
🔧 Using our existing tools to maximum effect
Read more: https://t.co/3QU6wu4O2o pic.twitter.com/Hjq792pNww
— Competition & Markets Authority (@CMAgovUK) February 9, 2021
We have recently made the decision to simplify and modernise our name to help people better understand the services we offer.
But even though our name is changing to Zettle by PayPal, we will continue to provide the products and services small business owners love. 💜 pic.twitter.com/TegDqt11Pp
— ZettlebyPayPal (@ZettlebyPayPal) February 9, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.