Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Swedish fintech scale-up Klarna is looking to raise up $1 billion at a $31 billion valuation.
- UK-based virtual events platform Hopin is reportedly nearing the end of a Series C fundraise in which it is looking to raise roughly $400 million at a pre-money valuation of $5 billion.
- US private equity giant Francisco Partners is acquiring Israel-based genealogy company MyHeritage. The companies didn't disclose the sum of the acquisition, but the deal is believed to be valued at $600 million and it may even increase further.
- Apax Partners, the majority owner of Spanish online real estate classifieds platform idealista until EQT acquired the company for €1.3 billion, has re-invested in the business, coughing up €250 million for a 17% stake.
- Wallapop, a virtual marketplace based out of Barcelona, has raised €157 million at a valuation of €690 million. The funding was led by Korelya Capital, a French VC fund backed by Korea’s Naver, with Accel, Insight Partners, 14W, GP Bullhound and Northzone — all previous backers of Wallapop — also participating.
- Israeli storage processor and database acceleration company Pliops announced today that it has completed a $65 million financing round led by Koch Disruptive Technologies.
- NIL Technology, a Danish specialist in advanced optical solutions has carried out a financing round of €26 million. The financing was co-led by Jolt Capital, NGP Capital and Vaekstfonden, with EIC Fund as a new significant investor.
- Israeli online car buying company Gettacar today announced the closing of a $25 million financing round, bringing the amount raised by the company to $48 million.
- Munich-based startup Everdrop has raised an €18 million Series A funding round led by Felix Capital, with participation from HV Capital and Vorwerk Ventures, for its dissolvable cleaning tablet.
- Founda Health, an Amsterdam startup that says it’s bringing fintech-style ‘platformization’ to healthcare, has raised a $15 million seed funding round from an undisclosed group of healthcare and fintech entrepreneurs.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Today, the European Commission launched the first-stage consultation of social partners on how to improve the working conditions for people working through digital labour platforms.
- Spain is preparing to push forward with pro-startup legislation, having recently unveiled a big and bold transformation plan with the headline goal, by 2030, of turning the country into ‘Spain Entrepreneurial Nation’.
- The EU Commission proposed today a new Roaming Regulation, which will prolong the current rules that are due to expire in 2022, for another 10 years.
- The European Payments Initiative, a bank-backed joint venture that aims to build a rival to Mastercard and Visa, has put out a Request for Information for 'qualified technical partners' to help build its central infrastructure.
- Some of the best known tech companies in Ireland have teamed up with the University of Limerick (UL) for a new and radically different computer science course. More than a dozen tech companies, including Stripe, Intercom and Workday, are partnering with the university for its new immersive software engineering programme.
- German micromobility company Tier has teamed up with Northvolt, a Swedish supplier of battery cells and systems, to improve the sustainability of e-scooter batteries, reduce raw material needs and lower associated emissions.
- Wildberries is Russia’s dominant web store, and now its billionaire founder is targeting western Europe.
- Buy now, pay later schemes are expected to account for 10 percent of all UK e-commerce sales by 2024, according to data compiled by Worldpay.
- Chinese ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing plans to make its debut in Western Europe, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg, as the company seeks new growth markets ahead of a long-awaited initial public offering.
Today's Top Tweets
Super excited to welcome some incredible angel investors onboard for our pre-seed round! This financing will support our team in further developing the @imagilabs app and growing our community - let’s get thousands more girls into coding this year! https://t.co/XZ7qWMWMKw 🚀 👩💻
— Dora Palfi (@dorapalfi) February 24, 2021
— Alex Humphreys (@allyhumphreys) February 23, 2021
Platform work is developing rapidly in the EU.
It can offer new job opportunities but can also pose important challenges for policymaking.
We are launching a consultation of social partners on how to improve working conditions of platform workers.#DigitalEU #SocialRights
— European Commission 🇪🇺 (@EU_Commission) February 24, 2021
— Daniel Waterhouse (@wanderingvc) February 24, 2021
Here’s an interesting one: we hear @babylonhealth, the $2 billion-valued UK-based digital healthcare company, has fielded incoming requests from a number of SPACs, likely from the US.
The company just announced the expansion of its C-suite in the States: https://t.co/cjcKR7znUS
— Robin Wauters @ tech.eu (@robinwauters) February 24, 2021
Bravo to our alumni Hans, CEO & co-founder of https://t.co/KxE7M2Zan1, for closing a funding round of $3.6 million! 👏
He attended our web dev course and has since successfully launched https://t.co/KxE7M2Zan1, a collaborative tax management platform https://t.co/5kDJSOfwF9
— Le Wagon Brussels (@LeWagonBrussels) February 24, 2021
It’s getting harder and harder to tell if it’s parody. Getting a dot-com vibe here. https://t.co/iksphqX0Ev
— Nikos Moraitakis (@moraitakis) February 24, 2021
We’re thrilled to join #everdrop on their journey to make the world a cleaner place, one home at a time! With @HV_Capital and Vorwerk Group, and the everdrop team, we can't wait to make #sustainability the No.1 choice for everyone 💚🌎https://t.co/67H5HGS6ce
— Felix Capital (@FelixCapital) February 24, 2021
How to get into Venture Capital ? How to win interviews and offers ? For all VC-aspiring people or anyone interested in the #VC world, head here to get some advices on finding an #internship in a fund. 💪@AmestoyMarie#intern #jobopportunity #analyst
— XAnge (@XAngeVC) February 23, 2021
Tomorrow I’m interviewing @hirokitakeuchi of @GoCardless, one of the UK’s most successful fintechs that has helped 100ks move their business online, especially during the pandemic.
What questions would you ask him? What about the GC journey would you like to hear more about?
— James Wise (@jpwiseuk) February 24, 2021
In the early days of @thingtesting_, I poured over @ForerunnerVC’s portfolio to find brands to test next. Now Forerunner has led our $2 million seed, and adding them as our partners on this journey feels like coming home. https://t.co/9f4AZzsZgY
— Jenny Gyllander (@gyllanderjenny) February 24, 2021
You've heard about the initiatives from 🇫🇷🇩🇪🇦🇹🇵🇱 on online content moderation legislation but don't know where to start?
🦸DOT Europe's got you covered!
We have meticulously mapped 🇪🇺 legal frameworks tackling illegalities online ⤵️https://t.co/HdTzWQSoQY
— DOT Europe (formerly EDiMA) (@DOTEurope) February 24, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.