Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Rohlik, the Czech Republic-based online grocery supermarket and delivery service founded in 2014, is now a €300 million-a-year business thanks to Covid-19. The Prague-based company today announced that it has secured €190 million in funding to fuel further growth.
- Israeli digital asset security infrastructure developer Curv is in talks to be acquired by PayPal for more than $200 million, sources close to the matter told Globes.
- 'Fortnite' developer Epic Games has agreed to acquire Tonic Games Group, the British game studio behind 'Fall Guys'.
- Berlin-based 'dark stores' operator Flink has raised a hefty $52 million in seed financing. The round was led by Target Global and existing investors Northzone, Cherry Ventures, and Silicon Valley-based debt provider TriplePoint Capital.
- Dutch online supermarket Crisp has recently closed a €30 million funding round led by Target Global.
- After inking a $9.2 billion deal to merge their classifieds businesses last year, eBay and Norway’s Adevinta have announced a deal to sell off three popular web properties in the UK to get the deal cleared by local regulators, the Competition Markets Authority.
- Instamotion, the Munich-based platform for buying used cars, received €24 million in Series B funding led by G+J Digital Ventures in cooperation with the Ad Alliance.
- Expat focused, cross-border online banking fintech startup Rewire has just announced a sweet $20 million in series B funding and a “significant” line of credit from a “leading” bank. The round was led by OurCrowd, and included new key investors Renegade Partners, Glilot Capital Partners (via their early growth fund Glilot+), and Jerry Yang, former Yahoo! CEO and director at Alibaba, through AME Cloud Ventures.
- Mobile advertising platform Vungle has recently announced the acquisition of GameRefinery. The primary target of the acquisition being GameRefinery’s Game Intelligence platform, a service which helps point developers to optimal user retention and monetisation through a series of insights.
- Codat, a London-based startup that connects the data systems of small businesses to banks, fintechs and other institutions, has raised $10 million from Index Ventures to finance expansion into the US.
- German remote connectivity software company TeamViewer has acquired Upskill, a US company that specialises in augmented reality applications for front-line workers.
- Netherlands-based CM.com, a cloud software for conversational commerce, has reached an agreement to acquire Amsterdam-based PayPlaza, a point-of-sale payment acceptance platform. According to CM.com, the transaction comprises a consideration of €10 million.
- Piano is expanding its platform for digital publishers with the acquisition of AT Internet, a 25-year-old analytics company based in France.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- TikTok has announced the launch of a "Safety Advisory Council" for Europe — a body that will help the platform deal with content moderation.
- Google is backing a new £1.5 million fund investing in tech start-ups led by black founders, aiming to help close a vast gulf in venture capital flows.
- Interesting Views: a spotlight on Chris Tottman from Notion Capital and Included VC.
- SoundCloud has introduced 'fan-powered royalties' — which it says is a fairer and more transparent way for artists to earn money on the platform.
- Banking industry trade body UK Finance has set out detailed proposals for a new service company to replace the Open Banking Implementation Entity.
- Extended Reality: XR4ALL announces winners of the second open call.
Today's Top Tweets
🎧 The first ep of our new season is now LIVE!
We're thrilled to bring you a conversation with the wonderful @axeliaklein from @creandum
🦄 Beata lets us into a few creandum-isms for spotting potential in early stage companies https://t.co/s1i4dCMqkM
— Associated (@associated_pod) March 2, 2021
— Mehdi Benjelloun (@mehdibnjln) March 2, 2021
🗓️Join us at Thursday's @ScaleUpEuropeEN launch for a special conversation with @nzennstrom and @NicolasDufourcq, moderated by @roxannevarza on:
📈 Europe's growth-stage ecosystem
🇪🇺 Building a more diverse + inclusive ecosystemhttps://t.co/XWyVhfI1vF pic.twitter.com/IjkIlE1hdL
— Atomico (@atomico) March 2, 2021
1/ European venture is a brave new world changing in front of our eyes. Founders are scaling faster out of the gates & the investment pace is breath taking. What took months is now taking weeks & financings are being done in days. Our @HumaansHQ first check in is a case in point
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) March 2, 2021
11 French unicorns and counting https://t.co/tZr3Tp7ENw
— Roxanne Varza (@roxannevarza) March 1, 2021
Ben Davey departs from Barclays Ventures CEO rolehttps://t.co/h0X6oWnYnG
— FinTech Futures (@FinTech_Futures) March 2, 2021
What a time to release an episode.
Today @Klarna announced $1Bn raise at a $31Bn valuation making them Europe’s most valuable private tech company.
Listen to @klarnaseb on management style to the power of self-doubt.
Hint: Everyone has it. https://t.co/kxPuakK6Qj pic.twitter.com/OSO8tf310t
— Harry Stebbings (@HarryStebbings) March 1, 2021
MyGalileo series - #MyGalileoDrone & #MyGalileoSoluton - has attracted more than 2k innovators from all over Europe🇪🇺.
Our Executive Director @rroquecosta has opened the #Entrepreneurship Day with a message to all #startups and innovators: Don't give up on your ideas🚀! pic.twitter.com/Tcqp4HQPRH
— 🇪🇺 European GNSS Agency (@EU_GNSS) March 2, 2021
— Wise (ex-TransferWise) (@Wise) March 2, 2021
— Derek Chu (@derek_chu) March 1, 2021
"Mollie, one of the fastest-growing payment service providers in Europe, has appointed Shane Happach as its new CEO.
Happach joins Mollie from Worldpay, where he was EVP and Head of Global eCommerce." https://t.co/gcDouOne00
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) March 2, 2021
I actually really like the fact that over the years people are going from “ok Europe maybe has a unicorn, but look the US has several” to “ok Europe maybe has a decacorn, but look the US has several” to “ok well Europe doesn’t have a trillion-dollar company yet”.
Long #EUtech :) https://t.co/VjJHwSsuh5
— Robin Wauters @ tech.eu (@robinwauters) March 2, 2021
After 6 months of growing On Deck in Europe, I'm excited to announce I've been promoted to Head of International!
What's next? I'll be leading our global expansion efforts & building a team of superstars to launch our next international markets 🚀https://t.co/UXQ7hxurAj
— Erika Batista (@ErikaBatista) March 2, 2021
— Finextra (@Finextra) March 2, 2021
After working on creating high quality content and getting some significant early traction with https://t.co/3kGue9g4az, so cool to see great media like @tech_eu highlighting our work. Thanks @robinwauters for being so open to partner and advising us on how to do better media ! https://t.co/r5M6dxKTy0
— Pol Fañanás (@polfananas) March 2, 2021
Ocean Infinity has acquired Sweden’s MMT, which combines high-tech vessels, vehicles and equipment to let clients ‘visualise the seabed’.
Ocean Infinity says the deal will maximise the potential of its fleet of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs).https://t.co/JaxnTHQJ2v
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) March 2, 2021
🎉In EU consultation processes, the more representation, the merrier!
🔊We have co-signed a letter to urge the European Commission to increase representation in the upcoming consultation on the working conditions of platform workers! https://t.co/Tl7YquBwXo
— Allied for Startups (@Allied4Startups) March 2, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.