Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Roivant Sciences has agreed to go public through a merger with a blank-check firm backed by former KKR dealmaker Jim Momtazee, in a deal that values the Swiss biotech company at $7.3 billion.
- Fintech company Fenergo has become the third Irish tech unicorn after being valued at over $1 billion in a new deal, per Irish Times sources.
- Digital events and ticketing platform challenger FIXR has closed a Series A funding round topping out at £6.5 million and has announced a significant partnership with REKOM UK, the country’s largest nightclub operator.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Intel will invest another $600 million in Israel to expand its research and development (R&D) and confirmed it was spending $10 billion on a new chip plant.
- The young Berlin on-demand delivery startup Gorillas is reportedly looking for $1 billion in funding at a $6 billion valuation to ramp up.
- Trustly has shelved plans to raise €785 million in an IPO after regulators raised issues over the Swedish payment firm's due diligence procedures.
- More than 30 of Europe’s largest banks and credit card processors are trying to create a payments giant capable of shattering a US-dominated “oligopoly”.
- From AIRR to Motherbrain: What tools VCs are using to run the operations and make decisions.
- Big bank exits and fintech upstarts: Ireland’s banking landscape is undergoing drastic change.
Today's Top Tweets
Learn more about the 10 incredible startups in the Techstars Berlin Accelerator's 2021 class & follow along as they navigate through their Techstars journey in our newest podcast series, The Lead Up: https://t.co/6Z4dqAEW1V #TSBerlin pic.twitter.com/iCgW3bUE84
— Techstars (@techstars) May 3, 2021
— Ethical AI Resources (@AiEthical) May 1, 2021
.@tierscooters has launched its e-mobility services in Kraków, Poland, which becomes the 100th city where the company’s e-scooters are available.
It now plans to launch e-scooters in Hungary, Slovakia and Ireland this Summer.
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 3, 2021
Digital Services Act: EU countries want to further discus a possible widening of the scope; the extension of the trusted flaggers status; the protection of trade secrets; the Good Samaritan clause, according to a draft progress report seen by Morning Tech. https://t.co/0D2ehImz4K
— Laura Kayali (@LauKaya) May 3, 2021
Startupitalia ha chiuso un round da 7,3 milioni di euro. Dentro Cdp, P101 e Primo Ventures
— arcangelo ròciola (@arcamasilum) May 3, 2021
I know the public likes faces and fights (that's probably the reason I became the "privacy face") - but it doesn't matter which faces have a dispute, it's about solving the underlying issues.
I hope a way forward to get the #GDPR actually enforced will come from all this.. pic.twitter.com/r5xkOOBwFd
— Max Schrems (@maxschrems) May 2, 2021
— Jacky (@JuliaMomblat) May 3, 2021
Meet @editwithtype, the German winner of the pitch competition at this year’s EU-Startups Summit!
Out of 1000+ applicants, 15 #startups battled it out on the last day of the Summit, with all teams doing exceeding well. Congrats to all who took part! https://t.co/7Pn5jaa77p
— EU-Startups (@EU_Startups) May 3, 2021
— Nick Franklin (@Nick_Franklin) May 3, 2021
Listen to COMPUTEX on https://t.co/X5NWsEOXKH podcast!
The well-known podcaster Andrii Degeler unveiled what can European startups expect from this year's COMPUTEX.
Click and listen now https://t.co/xn3WLD0dp3#BeThere#GetReady#SeeYouOnline#COMPUTEXVirtual#InnoVEXVirtual
— COMPUTEX TAIPEI (@computex_taipei) May 3, 2021
SEC filing: Rockley Photonics, developer of sensors that can be used for blood pressure and glucose monitoring, says Apple is currently its biggest customer (@davidphelan2009 / Forbes)https://t.co/kAriEfD759https://t.co/HKzhVC9lmj
— Techmeme (@Techmeme) May 2, 2021
— Dídac (@DidacLee) April 30, 2021
— Digital EU (@DigitalEU) May 3, 2021
Good summary of a talk at @CollisionHQ I moderated earlier with a trio of European unicorns (Feedzai, Outsystems, Pipedrive) with strong ties to Lisbon/Portugal:https://t.co/6QCHwmjh6X pic.twitter.com/ejNUUbdVwo
— Robin Wauters @ Tech.eu (@robinwauters) May 3, 2021
Congratulations to our 4⃣ new members of the @EITeu Governing Board!
I am glad to welcome
They will help us stimulate 's #innovation capacity & contribute to a new #innovation #ecosystem! pic.twitter.com/n8Y3bLy13a
— Mariya Gabriel (@GabrielMariya) May 3, 2021
#Israel is a global powerhouse when it comes to #innovation.
An article published by @tech_eu shows 27 new #unicorn #startups in Europe during Q1 2021, with Israel leading the list adding a staggering 8 new unicorns.https://t.co/vx5o8F1WGz
— Global Tailored Solutions (@GlobalTailored) May 2, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.