Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Wise (formerly TransferWise) will 'connect with over 3,000 banks around the world' thanks to a partnership with Temenos, as Silicon Valley Bank provides it with a £160 million capital boost to help refinance existing debt.
- London and Tel Aviv-based venture capital firm 83North has received commitments totalling $550 million for its sixth fund.
- Tel Aviv-based bizops startup Salto has raised $42 million in a Series B round led by Accel. The round also saw a heavy investment from Salesforce Ventures, and follow-on investment from Bessemer Venture Partners and Lightspeed Venture Partners.
- Israeli healthcare IoT cybersecurity and asset management startup Cynerio has secured $30 million in Series B funding.
- Munich’s battery analytics software company TWAICE has raised $26 million in a Series B round led by Energize Ventures (not to be confused with Energizer, the battery company, and bunny, of a similar name). All previous investors including Creandum, Speedinvest, and Cherry Ventures followed on.
- London-based digital asset brokerage GlobalBlock has been acquired by Canadian listed Helix Applications at a value of £32 million.
- Copenhagen-based project and resource management service Forecast has raised $19 million in a Series A round led by Balderton Capital.
- Real-time automated payroll software platform Pento has raised $15.6 million in a Series A round led by General Catalyst.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Europe’s most valuable startup, Klarna, said its decision on whether to move ahead with a blockbuster listing in London hinges on the UK government’s post-Brexit financial services regulation.
- Flying in the face of the traditional entrepreneurship model, Franco-Belgian startup think tank/incubator/VC facilitator eFounders celebrates its 10 year anniversary today with the formal announcement of a $2 billion portfolio valuation.
- The European Central Bank has warned that the charges levied by banks for instant payments are proving a barrier to uptake and "must change".
- Proposed EU rules targeting Facebook, Google and other large online platforms should include privacy rights for users as well as their right to anonymity, a key EU lawmaker steering the debate at the European Parliament said today.
- European lawmakers have adopted a resolution urging the European Commission to combat illegal online broadcasts of sports events.
- HERE Technologies is to power UK-based electric vehicle maker Arrival’s in-vehicle navigation solution.
Today's Top Tweets
Given the variety and amount of new sources of funding coming to market, "Mediocre European VCs" should be added to the endangered species list.
— Fred Destin (@fdestin) May 19, 2021
Today I'm excited to announce that we've raised a $15.6m series A, led by @adamvalkin at @gcvp! ✨
It's been an absolute pleasure working with the whole team at Pento to get to where we are today, and I can't wait to start this new chapter with you all
— Jonas Bøgh (@jonasboegh) May 19, 2021
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 19, 2021
Don't think @tiboel and @qnickmans get half the credit and recognition they deserve for what they've built. One of the biggest success stories of European tech, plus they keep on giving back and investing into the local ecosystem. Who comes close to their hit rate globally? https://t.co/HIV5CxHeVM
— Martin Mignot (@martinmignot) May 19, 2021
— Robin Wauters @ Tech.eu (@robinwauters) May 19, 2021
Fabio Panetta (head of @ecb's Digital Euro team) comments today in Helsinki on state of play on EU digital stablecoin plans, noting that discussions between ECB & national central banks are ongoing (decision had previously been slated for April): https://t.co/xEHJg9ZMvD
— Samuel Stolton (@SamuelStolton) May 19, 2021
European #tech leaders posted +81% growth last year. Incredible considering the climate.
Building off this strong foundation, EQT Growth are primed to unleash further growth in Europe’s tech champions. #techinvesting #investment pic.twitter.com/DTWlJrfPL8
— EQT Growth (@EqtGrowth) May 19, 2021
*New Episode*: Malhar Kamdar, Chief Ecosystem Officer at Celonis, on Ecosystem Strategy and How to Develop it Successfully.
Listen at https://t.co/L6sopoVrq3 #startups #entrepreneurship #podcast #podernfamily
— Anita Moorthy (@anitamoorthy) May 19, 2021
We planned, hoped and tried to make the impossible possible – and yet had to cancel #IFA2021. We're #heartbroken, but full of confidence for #IFA2022!#seeyouatIFA2022https://t.co/VzBGNTCvFA pic.twitter.com/ZvM2FCnLv1
— IFA Berlin (@IFA_Berlin) May 19, 2021
Berlin-based real estate fintech company LINUS Digital Finance, backed by Rocket Internet co-founder Alexander Samwer, today went public through a direct listing on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. https://t.co/Q8iBuHAt3b
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 19, 2021
I wrote an article about #Agritech in France that sums up last year's good news and disappointments -as if the whole year was not a disappointment itself...- I'm very bullish on Agritech's potential in France though. Successes like @Ynsect will emerge. https://t.co/R1YYcp67ct
— Majdoline Wahbi (@Majdoline_wahbi) May 18, 2021
One of our #DBVN members scored a big win this week: home climate management startup @tado raised €38 million from hamburg-based proptech firm @noventicgroup and existing shareholders. Congratulations! https://t.co/ttd7dgP2mo
— Deutsche Börse Venture Network (@DBVentureNet) May 19, 2021
— Daniel Lanyon (@DJLanyon) May 19, 2021
More insights on Baltic venture funding deals from @changeventures as we release the bi-annual update to our funding report. The ONLY source of real valuation and other transaction data across the Baltic States. Thanks to the founders who contribute to this transparency effort! https://t.co/sqHvL4VB1e
— Andris K. Berzins (@akberzins) May 18, 2021
My LATEST @e_estonia interview is with SIXFOLD @sixfoldteam, Europe’s real-time transportation visibility leader, according to @Gartner_inc @sikkut @Anetttu @startupestonia @EstoniaInvest @Work_in_Estonia @MFAestonia @EstonianGovt #SupplyChainhttps://t.co/96ZsORilAC
— Angelica Sirotin (@GenZ_Angelica) May 19, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.