Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Hepsiburada.com was valued at $3.9 billion in its initial public offering on Nasdaq, the first such listing on the exchange by a Turkish firm. The company, one of Turkey’s largest online shopping platforms, sold shares at $12 apiece and is planning to use the proceeds to offer additional services such as booking flights and money transfers.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Israeli cloud data management and protection company Zerto for $374 million in cash.
- Prague-based online grocery delivery startup Rohlik has secured a €100 million Series C funding round at a valuation of €1 billion. Led by Index Ventures, the capital injection will support Rohlik’s expansion; the company has already launched in Hungary and Austria and is planning to start operating in Munich in the coming months.
- Rapyd, an insert-fintech-services-into-any-app payments platform has announced its definitive agreement with Arion Banki to acquire Icelandic payments solutions company Valitor for $100 million, subject to regulatory approval.
- Getir, the Turkish startup that has built a $7.5 billion business out a mobile app that lets consumers buy groceries and get them delivered in minutes, is acquiring Blok, another “instant delivery” grocery service based out of Barcelona.
- Veepee (formerly Vente-Privée.com) has signed its first financing agreement worth €80 million with the European Investment Bank. It will be used to finance Veepee’s digital transformation investments.
- London-based Codat, the technology company that enables small businesses to seamlessly share business and financial data with financial and other service providers, has secured $40 million in a Series B round led by Tiger Global, with existing investors Index Ventures and PayPal Ventures also participating.
- Estonia-founded supercapacitor company Skeleton Technologies has raised €29 million in an extension of its Series D round, bringing its total amount to €70.4 million.
- Itsme, the digital identity app owned by a consortium of Belgian banks and telcos has received a €24.7 million capital injection.
- Israel's Juno Journey, which has created an AI platform to enhance employees’ professional development, has raised $19 million in Series A funding.
- Next generation display and device makers in the US, China, and Japan are already employing Cambridge-based VividQ’s computer-generated holography technologies, now it’s simply a matter of waiting before Tony Starks’ holotable moves from science fiction to science reality. To this end, VividQ has raised an additional £11 million in a seed extension round.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Retail giant Amazon has announced the launch of a new development centre in Helsinki that has been established specifically to support Amazon Scout, the autonomous delivery vehicle active in the US.
- Nissan on Thursday announced plans to build a £1 billion “gigafactory” in Sunderland, UK, in a major boost to the country’s electric vehicle plans.
- With its High Tech Strategy 2025, Germany has laid out its ambitions to position itself at the forefront of the next technological revolution, though critics say Europe’s biggest economy still has some catching up to do.
- Authorities in Paris and other French towns will be able to regulate local businesses who wish to rent property on Airbnb, according to a decree published by the French government.
- London is missing out on Europe’s $4.4 billion Spac boom.
- The European Commission kicked off its €7.9 billion European Defence Fund (EDF), opening 23 calls worth €1.2 billion for collaborative defence R&D projects.
- Today icon group has announced the reorganization of the company into a global innovation group offering full-service innovation from idea to scale, which will include a €25.3 million venture capital fund.
Today's Top Tweets
Même si les levées sont pas l’alpha et l’oméga de @LaFrenchTech, c’est quand même un super signe que l’écosystème a levé presque autant en un semestre (4,7M€) que toute l’année 2020 (5,4M€) https://t.co/1D47RYvXrS
— Kat Borlongan (@katborlongan) July 1, 2021
1/ Yesterday I spoke at @4YFN_MWC about the flashy statistics of €50-60bn going into European tech illustrate powerful compounding growth but I think there is a much deeper multiplicative effect at play here. I just blogged about it here https://t.co/4OB04q2j2s
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) July 1, 2021
☕️ The @tech_eu Podcast: How to treat rare diseases with existing drugs — with @Geek_Manager, CTO of Healx https://t.co/BGIxn2nFsS
— Atomico (@atomico) July 1, 2021
Despite a year that saw the European tech sector raise a record amount of funding, the amount of funding going to all-female founding teams in CEE dropped from a high of 4.1% in 2018 to just 1% in 2020https://t.co/akP7mATpE4
— Pavlína Louženská (@Pavlina_speaks) July 1, 2021
We're thrilled to release our 2021 Impact Report. Head to our website to download it: https://t.co/AEGT6a6YsQ pic.twitter.com/fs5Gt6EkKa
— Future Positive Capital (@wearefpc) July 1, 2021
Extremely excited for @swordhealth as they close their 2nd round of funding in 2021 with an $85M Series C led by @gcvp!
Huge congrats to @vafbento @marciocolunas & the team for another important milestone to continue accelerating their global growth from Southern Europe!
— Alexandre Barbosa (@agarciabarbosa) July 1, 2021
Meet the Press @ Europas @mikebutcher: top EU tech journalists - including @shonaghosh, @MStothard, @robinwauters, and @atbwebb, to hone in on what they’re covering, what trends they see emerging, and most importantly, how to approach them when pitching. https://t.co/2JlCCElM28
— Mary (@maryglazkova) July 1, 2021
Opera introduces the world's first alternative browser optimized for Chrome OS! The growing number of Chromebook users can now enjoy unique Opera features like free built-in VPN, built-in messengers and powerful ad blocker. Learn more: https://t.co/n024t6UIIU
— Opera (@opera) July 1, 2021
Welcome MyC! Their game-changing health management platform will help large companies & medical sites all over the world connect seamlessly to collect and manage data & provide predictive analysis. #ElaiaFamily @tech_eu @sensorpunk https://t.co/dRbmLndyVA
— @Elaia_Partners (@Elaia_Partners) July 1, 2021
Following the $75M funding by @brutofficiel yesterday, I spoke with CEO @glxbrut, who cofounded Brut with @renaudlvk and @lorentlucas. The French company has become an international phenomenon thanks to its short, values-driven videos and podcasts. https://t.co/WlJqNlRusg
— Chris O'Brien (@obrien) July 1, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.
Would you like to write the first comment?Login to post comments