Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Fintech scale-up Wise was valued at 7.95 billion pounds ($11 billion) on its market debut through direct listing, making it the largest ever tech listing in London by market capitalisation.
- Israeli AI-based face recognition startup AnyVision has completed a $235 million Series C funding round led by SoftBank and Eldridge Industries.
- CASAFARI, which operates a real estate data platform in Europe, has secured a $120 million mandate from private equity investors, such as Geneva-based investment group Stoneweg, to be deployed in a buy-to-let strategy targeting the acquisition of fragmented units in residential and commercial real estate. Additionally, the company has also raised a $15 million Series A equity investment led by Prudence Holdings.
- Well it’s a heady day over at virtual events platform Hopin. Only just over two years old now, the London-based unicorn has announced the acquisition of competitor Attendify, thereby expanding its event marketing suite offer. This marks Hopin’s fifth acquisition in the past year, and they’re clearly angling to be the winner of the virtual events pile.
- Israeli cybersecurity company Deep Instinct announced a new $68 million investment by Chrysalis Investments.
- France-born fashion e-tailer Spartoo went public on Euronext at a market capitalisation of €118.7 million, raising €27.3 million in its IPO.
- Swedish integrated payment solution platform Juni has raised $21.5 million. The fintech was founded in 2020, and officially launched barely four months ago.
- Peer-to-peer university recruitment platform Unibuddy has raised $20 million to fuel efforts in the US and APAC regions, aiming to serve 10 million students by 2025. To date, the startup has raised $32 million.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- European startups are raising more money than ever before, producing a class of tech companies with valuations comparable to peers in the US and Asia. But after a record-breaking start to the year, even some of the industry’s biggest cheerleaders are starting to worry that the momentum isn’t sustainable.
- The Chinese owner of a Dutch chip firm that wants to buy the UK’s largest chip plant is heavily backed by the Chinese Communist Party, according to analysis from Chinese investment screening specialists Datenna.
- The European Parliament has approved a controversial law that would allow digital companies to detect and report child sexual abuse on their platforms for the next three years.
- EuroVC has published its Q2 '21 European VC fundraising note.
- Nvidia said it opened what it claims is the fastest UK supercomputer to outside researchers that include both academic scientists and commercial firms such as AstraZeneca and GlaxoSmithKline.
- Atom Bank, the UK’s app-based bank, achieved two significant milestones this week when it exceeded £3 billion of residential mortgage completions and on the same day hit £1 billion in deposits into its Instant Saver accounts.
- GoCardless, a UK fintech specialised in account-to-account payments, has joined forces with Pennylane, the first financial management and accounting platform designed for companies and their accountants, to offer SMEs and start-ups a way to manage and collect recurring payments.
Today's Top Tweets
Really glad to have completed the @wise listing on @lseplc - biggest listing of a UK company ever. Direct listing as a method worked v well for everyone first time in Europe.
Total belief that the team will tackle the remaining £150bn problem in the next decade. pic.twitter.com/NjN5s16Erv
— taavet hinrikus (@taavet) July 7, 2021
A healthy startup ecosystem creates plenty of new companies, but also needs exits to close the loop and recycle talent and capital.
Estonia now can ✔️ off a decacorn-grade new release to the world.
Wise direct listing values fintech firm at $11 billion.https://t.co/I7aMt4B2Im
— Sten Tamkivi (@seikatsu) July 7, 2021
Today, along with 14 companies including @vivaldibrowser, we have written to US and EU policymakers asking for a ban on survellience-based tracking. This is important and the need of the hour.
Open letter: #Bansurveillanceadvertising https://t.co/jAdapdUB5W
— Jon von Tetzchner (@jonsvt) July 7, 2021
Today marks a huge milestone for @taavet and @kaarmann, @Wise, Estonia and for the future of Europe!
Ex-Wisers are some of the most sought after employees and next generation of entrepreneurs
Read more about our shared journey here https://t.co/Qewy6fPHYs
— seedcamp (@seedcamp) July 7, 2021
Check out the ever-insightful @Euro_VC ‘European Fundraising Note’ for Q2 2021 (and subscribe to the newsletter, obv).
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) July 7, 2021
Proud to be mentioned in this article. Still love that portrait.
And also good advice: invest in quality photography for your stuff. It is worth it: https://t.co/6o9wt5vnrk
— Boris Veldhuijzen van Zanten (@Boris) July 6, 2021
In just 3.5 years @dc_chaplin has been promoted from Associate to VP, and now to Principal! We sat down with Dan to hear more about his journey, and why despite net dollar retention being so on trend, he still believes growth is king. Read more below https://t.co/56rrxo08C4
— Dawn (@dawncapital) July 7, 2021
Welcome @edyoucatedHQ and to @sensorpunk via @tech_eu for featuring this great founding team!
They will help prepare the #future #workforce with the necessary #digital skills. Onwards and upwards...
cc: @Pauuu44 @_firstmomentum #startups #seedround #edtech #software https://t.co/TeYHedrS1x
— Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) July 7, 2021
Creating a common market for innovation in Europe, space technology, Europe’s ability to compete and the evolution of quantum computing were on the agenda at DLD Summer, a July 1 conference in Munich. Read on to get the key takeaways. https://t.co/gzkexIJyj4
— Jennifer Schenker (@jennschenker) July 7, 2021
Save the date: October 5-7, 2021 #SouthSummit2021 in Madrid (or virtually) by @south_summit
From networking to startup competitions, this phygital event is a place where innovation meets business.
Get your early-bird ticket now: https://t.co/O0Ze3j4iTx pic.twitter.com/KQDqOpf0DP
— Startup Sesame (@startupsesame) July 7, 2021
We are pleased to announce a partnership with @Pennylane_tech to enable #SmallBusinesses and #startups to automate invoices, #accounting and #payments
First customers have already reduced outstanding payments by 25x https://t.co/8WvVTj7xNM
— GoCardless (@GoCardless) July 7, 2021
Well done @JadeFrancine8 and all the team @_WeMaintain ☀️ https://t.co/SyaCzcWCkt
— Alice Zagury (@Alice_zag) July 7, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.
Would you like to write the first comment?Login to post comments