Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– Electric vehicle company Arrival has staged what is believe to be the biggest ever stock market listing for a UK tech company. Arrival completed its merger with a SPAC today, which means Arrival is now listed on the Nasdaq in New York under the ticker ARVL. Arrival’s stock was listed at $22, valuing it at roughly $13 billion when the deal closed.
– Gorillas, the Berlin-HQ’d startup that promises to let you order groceries and other “every day” items for delivery in as little as ten minutes, has raised $290 million in Series B funding, at a valuation that surpasses $1 billion.
– A surge in pandemic-fuelled activity by homebound traders is propelling Dublin-based online broker AvaTrade towards a London stock market listing that could value it at up to £700 million.
– UK-based payments infrastructure provider PPRO has topped up its latest $180 million funding round with an additional $90 million investment from JPMorgan Chase and Eldridge.
– Israeli startup Starkware, which develops solutions for enlarging blockchain capacity, today announced that the completion of a $75 million financing round led by Paradigm and with the participation of existing investors Sequoia and Funders Fund, DCVC, Pantera and Wing and new investors Three Arrows and Alameda Research.
– German healthtech firm PlusDental has raised another €35 million.
– Israeli cloud-delivered endpoint and server security solutions company Morphisec today announced the completion of a $31 million financing round led by Jerusalem Venture Partners (JVP), with participation from Orange and Deutsche Telekom Capital Partners.
– In less than six months since its seed announcement, Berlin-based SellerX has raised an additional €26 million, now topping out at €130 million in available capital.
– Sweden’s Fishbrain has raised an additional €26 million from SoftBank and others.
– Kompasbank, Denmark’s newest bank, has closed a $22.5 million Series A financing round led by a group of the existing seed investors and a number of new investors.
– Amsterdam-based Roamler, a company that provides businesses with B2B crowdsourced solutions, has acquired Datlinq – a Netherlands-based data company that specialises in food service and food retail data.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– UK food delivery firm Deliveroo is facing a revolt from investors and riders concerned about the way it treats the latter; hundreds of couriers plan a strike next week.
– The UK’s competition watchdog announced that Facebook’s acquisition of popular GIF website Giphy raises concerns around digital ads and the supply of the short video clips.
– Europe needs to pump 300 billion euros into its telecoms infrastructure by 2025 if it wants to roll out super fast 5G across the 27-country bloc to boost economic growth and tap the potential of the technology, a report said today.
– Just 43 of the UK’s fastest-growing tech firms have floated on the London Stock Exchange in the last twenty years, according to new research.
– Call for a ‘CERN for AI’ as European Parliament hears warnings on risk of killing the sector with over-regulation.
– Deutsche Telekom and its Slovak unit on Thursday lost their fight against an antitrust fine levied nearly a decade ago by European Union enforcers after Europe’s top court endorsed the sanctions.
Today’s Top Tweets
— Michael Jackson (@WorkMJ) March 25, 2021
"However, we had prepared for this possibility, and we’re pleased to announce that we have agreed a new funding round for the business.”
Promises to share more details soon.
— Robin Wauters @ tech.eu (@robinwauters) March 25, 2021
Just in: 🇪🇺 Parliament has adopted its GDPR resolution, rejecting Axel Voss's amendments that sought to reform the rulebook, which is just under 3 years old.
— Vincent Manancourt (@vmanancourt) March 25, 2021
We're excited to launch Felix on Startup Cap Tables 🙌
Over the next few video lessons, our very own investment analyst Felix Martinez will walk you through various cap table exercises, from the simple to the most complex 🤔
Check out Episode 1 below 👇https://t.co/xqxI2Z4AuZ
— seedcamp (@seedcamp) March 25, 2021
Hotels finally have their developer friendly API –> @getimpala
We're coming to destroy ridiculous GDS fees and manual processes.https://t.co/zF1awUuIaE
— Fred Destin (@fdestin) March 25, 2021
thank you @tech_eu @robinwauters for amplifying the message:
CEE report: women-founded companies significantly outperform men-founded companies!@ExperiorVC @UnconvenVc @TheaMessel @norabavey1 @KingaStan1 https://t.co/sWKIs01qJx
— European Women in VC (@Eu_WomeninVC) March 25, 2021
We proudly announce our collaboration with @unity3d, as we develop the next-generation of embedded automotive HMIs with state-of-the-art, RT3D rendering capabilities.
— HERE Technologies (@here) March 25, 2021
Starting today, we’re rolling out a redesigned Spotify app for desktop and web, aligning the experience and making both easier to use than ever before. Get to know the new and improved features. ⬇️ https://t.co/c7yduZgka6
— Spotify News (@SpotifyNews) March 25, 2021
Europe & US say they're "intensifying negotiations" around a new transatlantic data-transfer deal. They've been working on this for 6+ months, and only now they're "intensifying" talks🤷♂️ https://t.co/C0C29FLCwG
FWIW, here's why this matters https://t.co/FVaK63Cz7o
— Mark Scott (@markscott82) March 25, 2021
🏎️ Vroom! “Thanks to this financing, we will continue to fast-track our innovation, with zero layoffs.” Berlin's @Blacklane raises €22m, upgrades ride hailing & green travel initiatives 👉🏻 https://t.co/0K2wcmJONx via @tech_eu #BerlinStartups #investment pic.twitter.com/X7J7cU5aGO
— Silicon Allee (@siliconallee) March 25, 2021
A trailblazing moment for European equity crowdfunding 🚀🚀🚀 https://t.co/xsl1ed51dh
— Seedrs (@Seedrs) March 25, 2021
In the @FRTechJournal:
"We're really in an exponential curve. That's true for France. But I think that's true also for Europe."https://t.co/dlsFSqH1X2
— Chris O'Brien (@obrien) March 25, 2021
We are happy to announce that Startupbootcamp Sustainability has over €1 million committed from investors! 🎉
If you are an investor and would like to contribute to making an important step on the sustainability front, get in contact with us at https://t.co/ZlqOIL6MIG pic.twitter.com/0toHtzdyJe
— Startupbootcamp (@Sbootcamp) March 25, 2021
If you are a women entrepreneur and looking to raise angel funding, you will want to hear this week’s episode where I talk to @MarieOuttier
She co-founded and sold Aiden to Twitter, is an active angel investor in Europe. #Angelinvesting #podcast https://t.co/FvknXU0DHJ
— Anita Moorthy (@anitamoorthy) March 25, 2021
We're excited to announce a multi-year agreement with @HitachiGlobal ! Another step to unlock the potential of multimodal health data and democratize data-driven medicine https://t.co/w29Sokt0lG#biotech #PrecisionMedicine #DataDrivenMedicine #tech pic.twitter.com/n2sO4U7FKQ
— SOPHiA GENETICS (@SOPHiAGENETICS) March 25, 2021
— The Tec Dr (@tecdr) March 25, 2021
— startupticker (@startuptickerCH) March 25, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.