Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Allfunds, the UK-based B2B WealthTech platform, is to list on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange. As of 31 December, 2020, Allfunds had over €1.2 trillion of assets under administration, and €370 million in revenue.
- Tel Aviv-founded database platform Redis Labs has closed a $110 million Series G funding round, now bringing the company’s valuation up to $2 billion.
- Israeli open source security and management company WhiteSource today announced the completion of a $75 million Series D financing round led by Pitango Growth.
- Remote-first, but officially registered in Berlin, no-code service automation platform BRYTER has raised $66 million in a Series B round.
- Paris-based 5G and 4G solutions provider Sequans has secured $50 million in financing in a move to strengthen its balance sheet.
- In an Oslo-to-Oslo transaction, learning platform Kahoot! has acquired cross-town employee engagement and learning app provider Motimate. Kahoot! has acquired 100% of the shares of Motimate at an enterprise value of $25 – $27 million on a cash and debt-free basis.
- Kildare, Ireland-based Sentenial and its open banking brand Nuapay have been acquired by Brisbane’s EML Payments for an upfront fee of €70 million, with an additional earn-out component of up to €40 million.
- Madrid-based automotive industry digital solutions provider Imaweb has acquired its Swiss competitor Stieger. Financial terms and conditions were not disclosed.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- The UK has launched a new regulatory body aimed at policing allegations of anticompetitive behavior among the world’s largest technology companies, adding another agency to a growing list of watchdogs scrutinizing how tech giants use their market heft.
- The Austrian privacy activist Max Schrems has made yet another complaint about a Silicon Valley giant—this time it's Google and its Android mobile operating system, which Schrems and his data-protection organization say illegally tracks Android users.
- Finland’s Nokia has settled a multi-year patent fight with China’s Lenovo Group, the world’s biggest PC maker, resolving all pending litigation across all jurisdictions.
- “SPACs are the most amazing thing to happen to the Israeli tech industry”
- EU regulators have been urged to ‘intervene immediately’ into the operation of video-sharing app TikTok, following the trend of ‘Blackout Challenges’ across social media, which have led to a series of deaths among young people.
- In Polestar’s first annual review, published today, the Swedish electric performance car brand announced its moonshot goal to create the first truly climate neutral car by 2030.
- Shares in takeaway delivery app Deliveroo rallied today as unconditional trading began. Deliveroo's shares were officially admitted to the London Stock Exchange on Wednesday following a period of "conditional" trading that began last week.
- Europe’s antitrust enforcer talks about the coming reckoning for Big Tech and corporate tax dodgers.
- PJP Eye: Plugging sustainable battery technology from Japan into the European ecosystem.
- Contactless payments are surging across Europe.
Today's Top Tweets
— David Meyer (@superglaze) April 7, 2021
The European market is full of money to be deployed in spite of the economic recession, and investors gotta put it to work. And they do, according to the Q1 data. https://t.co/YsgTbHwDn1
— dragos novac (@drnovac) April 7, 2021
The company wants to become Europe’s top listed growth investor, and it is betting heavily on sustainable businesses + diversity and inclusion.
— Robin Wauters @ Tech.eu (@robinwauters) April 7, 2021
🔴 We filed a complaint against Google: The Android Advertising Identifier (AAID) allows Google and all apps on the phone to track a user and combine information about online and mobile behaviour. https://t.co/NA8RVudSeo
— noyb (@NOYBeu) April 7, 2021
🌎 Want to hear from leading investors & founders about the global shift towards sustainability tech? Join our colleague @MarkLDurno on Thursday, April 15th for @tech_eu's virtual event about green tech in Europe! https://t.co/YdeoM8P35U#agrifood #investment #vc
— Rockstart (@rockstart) April 7, 2021
— Peter Thal Larsen (@peter_tl) April 7, 2021
— Polestar (@PolestarCars) April 7, 2021
Been a bit busy lately, forgot to find a supporter for Q1 '21 @Euro_VC newsletter. Going out this week to 1k+ GPs/LPs/founders.
Anyone wants to take it? Needs relevance to the audience and requires a donation to orgs that promote diversity in venture.
Ex from last issue 👇 pic.twitter.com/EulWRr8z23
— λannicκ〰️ (@yanroux) April 7, 2021
📢 Great news in our fight against #coronavirus!
— Mariya Gabriel (@GabrielMariya) April 7, 2021
— sennder (@sennderofficial) April 7, 2021
🚨 New fund from 🇫🇷 France
AXA Venture Partners (.@AXAVentures) announced a new €250M fund 'II' backed by undisclosed LPs.
Focus: Generalist at Growth stage.https://t.co/zDN41Y9Fzv
— euroVC bot 🇪🇺🚀 (@Euro_VC) April 7, 2021
Introducing🥁TOA KLUB - cohort-based learning and doing platform
Looking to level-up or enter a new field? Join TOA Klub.
4-6 weeks. Expert speakers. Incredible content. Peer-to-peer support. https://t.co/LEdOtajoTU🚀#toaklub #startups #community #founder pic.twitter.com/KECMt9toei
— Tech Open Air (@TOABerlin) April 7, 2021
— Dan Wilson 🇺🇸 OVVeterans (@OVVeterans) April 7, 2021
Today we have concluded a multi-year, multi-technology patent cross-license agreement with @Lenovo. The agreement reflects our decades-long investments in R&D and contributions to cellular and multimedia standards. https://t.co/cVPVAegctg #innovation pic.twitter.com/xtvXMGm5fB
— Nokia (@nokia) April 7, 2021
— Mark Scott (@markscott82) April 7, 2021
The world’s fastest-growing online marketplace has appointed a new CFO.
— BusinessCloud.co.uk (@BCloudUK) April 7, 2021
VC's not so self-aware of their actual value which may be indicative of their overall ability to evaluate, provide value, know what value actual is https://t.co/9BNiaDRF8D
— Jen van der Meer (@jenvandermeer) April 7, 2021
1/4 Thrilled to be continuing the journey with the exceptional @BRYTER_io team as they accelerate their global expansion to bring BRYTER to every enterprise! It is a pleasure to work with you all, @MichaGrupp, @m_ic, @MMBues, and I’m incredibly excited for what’s to come! https://t.co/wDa1zqGtFf
— Evgenia Plotnikova (@evplot) April 7, 2021
G20 countries double down on getting a digital tax deal done by the summer. But major sticking points -- including if new taxes should or should not just apply to tech companies -- have yet to be hammered out. pic.twitter.com/BoV0br6Z8V
— Mark Scott (@markscott82) April 7, 2021
DOT Europe has spent the past few months analysing the #DSA. Spoiler alert - we have a LOT of questions!
— DOT Europe (formerly EDiMA) (@DOTEurope) April 7, 2021
One of the key findings of the latest Startup Heatmap Europe by @EU_Startups "Brexit pushes #London down, while #Berlin takes the lead in founder popularity" ➡️ It's just a matter of time until international investors follow founders & move to Berlin, too! https://t.co/jY8yEffNgH
— Mathias Ockenfels ❎ (@ockenrock) April 7, 2021
Recent record-breaking investments in the tech and healthcare sectors confirm that our long-term trend predictions and investment choices were correct. In fact, #tech and #health represent about 65% of @Eurazeo’s private equity AUM and we're well-positioned for continued growth https://t.co/JvZqULiyl2
— Virginie Morgon (@virginiemorgon) April 7, 2021
— Bootcamp Dre (@wbscodingschool) April 6, 2021
Europe's struggle to compete in the supercomputing arena, and why it needs to go from buyer to builder https://t.co/Lp2YK2uhNO
— GSG Business Hub (@GSGBusinessH) April 7, 2021
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) April 7, 2021
If you missed our last newsletter 👉 https://t.co/dHHOf4tMo6
And loads more! Subscribe here → https://t.co/r3blAfWsbJ
— Balderton Capital (@balderton) April 7, 2021
“Conversational commerce is emerging as a critical channel for brands,” Berlin's Charles raises €6.4 million from @Accel & @HV_Capital 🙌🏾 https://t.co/deJ1iA6D6z via @tech_eu #BerlinStartups pic.twitter.com/cJHXyQA0zr
— Silicon Allee (@siliconallee) April 7, 2021
Don't miss our next virtual event👉 https://t.co/cn6pAIKiTn
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) April 7, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.