This week, we tracked 67 tech funding deals worth more than €268 million, as well as 10 M&A transactions and 2 ICOs across Europe, Israel, and Turkey.
We listed every single deal in our weekly newsletter (note: the full newsletter is now available to paying subscribers only), and here’s an extra overview of the 10 biggest European tech news items for this week:
1) Now confirmed: music streaming company Spotify and the music arm of China’s Tencent Holdings will buy minority stakes in each other ahead of the Swedish firm’s expected stock market listing next year, the companies said on Friday.
2) The Irish government has reached an agreement with Apple to start collecting the €13 billion owed by the tech giant.
3) German game studio Goodgame Studios has been acquired by Sweden’s Stillfront for €270 million.
4) WorldRemit, a London-based startup with some 2 million users that offers a quick way for people to send money to each other with a focus on developing markets, has raised $40 million — a Series C round that sources tell TechCrunch brings the company’s valuation to around $668 million. The funding was led by a new, strategic investor: LeapFrog Investments.
5) Facebook will be creating 800 new jobs in London over the coming 12 months, following the opening of its new office in the UK capital today. The new office will house Facebook’s first in-house startup incubator called LDN_LAB and will become the firm’s biggest engineering hub outside home turf.
6) Germany’s Contentful has raised $28 million in a Series C round led by General Catalyst Partners with participation from Benchmark Capital, Balderton Capital, and Point Nine Capital. Contentful develops a content management system (CMS) for app developers and content creators.
7) A Slovenian cryptocurrency mining marketplace, NiceHash, said it lost about $64 million worth of bitcoin in a hack of its payment system, the latest incident to highlight risks that uneven oversight and security pose to booming digital currencies.
8) Belgian-based NGDATA, a CRM software company, has raised a Series C round of $19 million led by HPE Growth Capital with participation from Idinvest Partners, Pamica, SmartFin Capital, Capricorn Venture Partners, and Nausicaa Ventures.
9) Internet groups such as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter need to do more to stem the proliferation of extremist content on their platforms, the European Commission said after a meeting on Wednesday.
10) Idagio, a classical music streaming service, has raised €8 million in a Series A round from Tengelmann Ventures, Mülheim/Ruhr, btov Partners, and a number of angel investors.
Bonus link: A report launched by Mind the Bridge and Cisco names the UK as 'the tech scale-up capital of Europe'.