Hello! Below, you can find out what happened today in European Tech.
But before you do: are you, or do you know someone, who can help us keep track of these things? We're hiring a tech journalist/news editor to expand our team and coverage.
Also, we just released our latest report on the State of European Fintech - download it free of charge now.
- Done Deal: SAP has acquired German enterprise software firm Signavio, without disclosed the terms of the deal. Bloomberg had earlier pegged the purchase price at around €1 billion.
- InPost soared in Amsterdam trading after its shareholders raised €2.8 billion euros in Europe’s biggest IPO since 2018, amid an online shopping boom that’s driving up demand for the Polish company’s automated parcel lockers.
- Berlin-based ManuCo has reportedly raised up to $100 million to continue developing and marketing a wide range of direct-to-consumer (D2C) brands.
- Polish beauty marketplace and booking app Booksy has announced $70 million in Series C funding to fuel expansion, despite restrictions on the wellness industry in the past year. The round was led by Cat Rock Capital with support from Sprints Capital.
- A new VC firm, Lauxera Capital Partners, has raised €100 million for a growth and buyout fund aimed at funding health tech companies.
- Israeli digital therapeutics company DarioHealth has raised $70 million through a private placement of its common stock, and is to acquire digital musculoskeletal company Upright in a stock transaction. The former is paying $31 million for Upright with $29.5 million paid in stock and $1.5 million in cash.
- London-based fintech startup Storfund, which is "building receivables factoring for the digital century", has secured $36.5 million in funding from the Private Debt team of Swiss bank Union Bancaire Privée (UBP), and private investors.
- Estonia-born Starship Technologies, a provider of autonomous delivery services, has raised $17 million, bringing its total funding to $102 million. Investors in the round include TDK Ventures and Goodyear Ventures.
- London-based payments platform Token has secured $15 million in Series B financing. The round came from SBI Investment and Sony Innovation Fund by IGV. Joining again were Octopus Ventures, EQT Ventures and Opera Tech Ventures.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- A treasure trove of draft work programmes leaked online gives researchers some rather large clues as to what to expect from the first rounds of calls to be launched under Horizon Europe later this year.
- JPMorgan Chase has announced its intention to launch a digital consumer bank in the UK later this year as it aims to capture some of the millions of customers that have switched from high street branches to online services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- TransferWise is expanding its debit card programme into dozens of new markets after inking a worldwide deal with Visa that will see the money transfer firm connect to the card giant's global processing network via the cloud.
- The EU’s attempts to regulate Artificial Intelligence could be met with future challenges resulting from an agreement on e-Commerce at the level of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), according to a new study.
- Food delivery giant Delivery Hero today announced that its operations in Latin America become carbon neutral from January 2021 onwards.
- Belgian startup studio eFounders is branching out, launching a brand new studio just for the fintech sector. Logic Founders is its name, and it will be independently run by fintech entrepreneur Camille Tyan.
Today's Top Tweets
This was 2020 in European Tech, through @PitchBook's data-fuelled eyes:
1) #EUtech VC deal value hit a new annual record of €42.8 billion across 9,341 deals, representing a 14.8% YoY increase in value from the previous record set in 2019.https://t.co/lBqgQY84Jw pic.twitter.com/EXHWqUEAjK
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) January 27, 2021
1/ I'm excited to see @Deliveroo go public later this year. It will be one of those companies that symbolises the progress of London ecosystem like others before it such as LastMinute, LoveFilm, Zoopla , King and new ones like GoCardless or Revolut.
— Fred Destin (@fdestin) January 27, 2021
Best wishes to Estonia's 1st female prime minister @kajakallas and her new government! Let's continue building worlds smartEST digital society 🇪🇪 https://t.co/aQw1nJVo14
— Martin Villig 🇪🇪 (@waldec) January 26, 2021
Yesterday @bloomreach_tm announced acquisition of @exponea creating an ecommerce mega-transformer. The kind a single brand needs to defend marketshare against wholesale partners and multibrand sites. Video from CEO 👇👇👇 https://t.co/i5pkzstoNS
— Andrew McGarry (@beyondcontent) January 27, 2021
JustEat has signed an agreement with the Danish union 3F to cover their 600 food delivery drivers. The pay is set to $21/hr, flexible hours from 8-37h per week, +50-100% overtime pay, pension, sick leave, parental leave, vacation, the works 😍 https://t.co/VPtakz22Wu
— DHH (@dhh) January 27, 2021
French Product Syndrome
When you build so many features that people can't understand what the product is anymore. pic.twitter.com/AQDNUbaoIK
— Jean de La Rochebrochard 👱🤖 (@2lr) January 27, 2021
#EV infrastructure remains highly unevenly ⚖️ distributed throughout the EU.
😕 Only cover 2️⃣7️⃣% of the region’s total 🗺️ surface area.
😲 But account for more than 7️⃣5️⃣% of all 🔌 charging points for electric #cars.
LEARN MORE: https://t.co/ATUY9dr3Hz pic.twitter.com/RWFSGm7bvr
— ACEA (@ACEA_eu) January 27, 2021
With our long-standing partner @ElisaOyj, we’ve achieved a major network capacity milestone to prepare the operator’s #network for the future. Learn more here: https://t.co/7JCxcBbdNV#IPnetworks pic.twitter.com/hSpKrNaBX3
— Nokia (@nokia) January 27, 2021
EVRYTHNG is honored to have contributed to the @wef's newest report.
The report represents a collaboration with #WEF, @BCG, and 40+ manufacturing organizations, leading academics and public sector representatives.
Read more: https://t.co/xDEWwpQ8Tj #datadriven #IoT #CX pic.twitter.com/1ocAWteYH1
— EVRYTHNG (@EVRYTHNG) January 26, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.
Would you like to write the first comment?Login to post comments