Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– Payments giant Visa has announced a definitive agreement to purchase Stockholm’s open banking platform Tink for €1.8 billion, including cash and retention incentives.
– Following Wise’s announcement earlier this month that it planned to go public by way of a direct listing on the LSE, today the company made the news formal with a regulatory filing. The London-based fintech scale-up said it plans to list in “early July 2021” but did not provide further details on pricing of its class A shares, in keeping with how direct listings work. It’s been reported, however, that the plan is for the valuation to be in the range of $6 billion to $7 billion with the listing.
– Videogame giant Electronic Arts has swooped for Cheshire, UK-headquartered Playdemic in a £1 billion deal. Playdemic, founded in 2010 and led by CEO Paul Gouge, is the studio behind hit mobile game Golf Clash.
– Israeli ad delivery and measurement platform for connected TVs Innovid, announced that it has entered into a definitive merger agreement with SPAC ION Acquisition Corp, at a company valuation of $1.3 billion.
– Israel’s Firebolt, which has built a new kind of cloud data warehouse that promises much more efficient, and cheaper, analytics around whatever is stored within it, announced a major Series B round of $127 million.
– SmartCraft, a Nordic provider of software solutions to small- and medium-sized enterprises in the construction sector, has listed Oslo Børs, raising roughly €111 million in its IPO.
– Helsinki’s edtech focused firm Sparkmind has closed its fund at €55 million, with the aim of supporting seed to Series B round founders.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– The European Commission has announced today the second round of direct equity investment through the European Innovation Council (EIC) Fund. Since its launch in 2020, the EIC Fund has now approved 111 investments in highly innovative SMEs totalling more than €500 million to scale up breakthrough innovations.
– Shares of British food delivery firm Deliveroo surged over 4% today after a UK court ruled that its couriers are self-employed. It’s a win for the Amazon-backed company, which has been fighting to keep its riders classed as independent contractors for years.
– The European Commission may have been hard at work looking for ways to improve the circulation of knowledge across Europe, but to remove barriers between member states, it needs to set up a binding framework for knowledge sharing, says Karen Maex, rector of the University of Amsterdam.
– Next week, Icelandic video game company Solid Clouds will start their Initial Public Offering (IPO) on the Nasdaq First North stock exchange.
– French postal service company La Poste has launched a new investment fund for startups that have a positive impact. With La Poste Ventures, the French company wants to anticipate changes in important sectors for the Group and explore new business models.
– Future VC, an internship programme launched by Diversity VC, has launched in the United States. On the same day the US programme was launched, Future VC’s third cohort in the UK was announced.
– Welcome back, roaming! Mobile operator EE will charge new customers extra to use their mobile phones in Europe from January.
Today’s Top Tweets
Apple's hellish month in Europe — competition authority announcements in June only:
▶️UK starts market investigation into iOS, App Store
▶️Germany launches App Store-focused probe
▶️Netherlands to wrap up App Store probe this year
▶️French bonus: 2017 legal action gains traction
— Laura Kayali (@LauKaya) June 24, 2021
One of the most soul destroying things that can happen within a startup is getting into a major dispute with a co-founder. To shine a light on how to handle these tricky situations, here is a starting guide on Resolving Major Co-Founder Disputes https://t.co/Meih4y5GMT
— Carlos Espinal (@cee) June 24, 2021
"Since its launch in 2020, the EIC Fund has now approved 111 investments in highly innovative start-ups and small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) totalling more than €500 million to scale up breakthrough innovations”" https://t.co/giimHxbZgE
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 24, 2021
Not too long ago we talked to @themollette from @DormRoomFund and noticed Europe had some room for improvement when investing in students. But @MacfarlaneJamie from @CreatorFund is changing that, featured on the latest edition of the @joinstationf podcast https://t.co/6S5lWUhGLG
— Roxanne Varza (@roxannevarza) June 24, 2021
Big news! Women Who Tech is funding #FemTech and #HealthTech women-led #startups via its first-ever global grants challenge that just launched. Apply to pitch the biggest #VC investors for funding. https://t.co/aNJd96QNmB #womenintech #femalefounders #healthcare #tech
— Allyson Kapin (@WomenWhoTech) June 22, 2021
Calling startups! TechBBQ’s Startup Program has now launched!
Interested in pitching on stage or showcasing your startup at #TechBBQ2021?
— TechBBQ (@TechBBQ) June 24, 2021
*New Episode*: Kaarel Kotkas, Founder & CEO of Veriff on Their Journey from Estonia to YCombinator to United States
Listen at https://t.co/L6sopoVrq3 #startups #entrepreneurship #podcast #podernfamily
— Anita Moorthy (@anitamoorthy) June 24, 2021
#SesamersonTour Stop #12: Belgium is happening next Tuesday.
— Sesamers (@sesamers) June 24, 2021
Excited about the European tech opportunity, with more and more global leaders emerging from the continent at a rapid pace!@ychernova @WSJ @WSJVC @celonis @TradeRepublicDE @Hopin @UiPath @Spotify @Klarna https://t.co/x236yQy1hc
— Andrei Brasoveanu (@algovc) June 23, 2021
Congrats to the team at Tinkhttps://t.co/JXzCp1gysF
— Paddy Cosgrave ☠️ (@paddycosgrave) June 24, 2021
Bad news: @TheEuropas is postponed to Friday 2 July, because the NHS app pinged me to isolate(!)… Good news: Thanks to sponsors @builderai, @Scaleway, @babylonhealth & @FreeNow_UK, it's now FREE!
Agenda: https://t.co/aOcSmLWOyL#TheEuropas https://t.co/clGSlQfeub
— Mike Butcher (@mikebutcher) June 24, 2021
Our #ScalingUpPartership REPORT is finally out! Find out how to manage the use of European Structural and Investment Funds in combination with #crowdfunding – DOWNLOAD the report here: https://t.co/L10hprV84W pic.twitter.com/FTpbrIhEmW
— EUROCROWD (@eurocrowd) June 24, 2021
R5 – The newest version of Opera desktop browser is here! With a set of new features for video conferencing, sharing ideas, and music streaming. Improve your online life while studying, working, and even vacationing! Learn more: https://t.co/rKI8RuT9Cr pic.twitter.com/68uuuByQ2u
— Opera (@opera) June 24, 2021
— Kibo Ventures (@KiboVentures) June 24, 2021
https://t.co/Q6PMu0SrAv event "To The Point: Checking in on #Cyprus, a gateway to Innovation"
✨An insider look into the current state of CY as a tech ecosystem
✨Pros and cons of CY as a place to launch a new business, expand to, or scale internationally
✨Incubators role pic.twitter.com/ojt2wEgsLv
— Invest Cyprus (@InvestCyprus) June 24, 2021
️ It's #EuropeCalling! ️
The second appointment of the brand new @EU_Commission podcast is online
⬇️ Listen now on @Spotify ⬇️
— Digital EU (@DigitalEU) June 24, 2021
Want brighter, sharper, more vivid screen displays? Meet @Porotech_Ltd!
— Speedinvest (@speedinvest) June 24, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.