Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Germany-based e-commerce company Berlin Brands Group, which creates and acquires online retail brands, announced $240 million in debt financing, its first outside capital, to accelerate global acquisitions.
- London-based leading seed investors LocalGlobe and its Series B sister fund, Latitude, announced to have raised $370 million ($150 million and $220 million, respectively). The new funds will be used to double down on core markets in the UK and Europe, with a long-term view of generating world-class returns.
- Babylon, the UK-based medical startup that connects patients and doctors via an app, is in talks to go public in a merger with a blank-check company run by former Groupon Inc. executives, according to people familiar with the matter. Babylon could be valued at $3 billion to $4 billion in any deal, the people said.
- Sara Murray, who founded location tracking tech company Buddi in 2005, has appointed Zeus Capital to oversee an IPO later this year. A public listing could value Buddi at about £500 million.
- Berlin-based consumer tech-subscription service Grover has raised €60 million in an oversubscribed Series B round.
- Tallinn-based VC firm Tera Ventures has closed a new fund, topping out at €43 million, with a global base of limited partners participating.
- Malta-based agritech VC fund manager PeakBridge and EIT Food have launched a new €30 million seed fund. Dubbed FoodSparks, the fund will invest in pan-European seed and early-stage startups focused on addressing food production, supply, and sustainability.
- Moscow-based e-commerce platform Ozon has signed an agreement to purchase Oney Bank from Russia’s third-largest privately-owned bank, Sovcombank. Subject to regulatory approvals, the transaction will happen in cash, and is not expected to exceed $10 million.
- Paris-based natural insect protein maker Ynsect has acquired Ermelo, Netherlands-based mealworm-ingredients-for-human-food maker Protifarm.
- London-based review-your-healthcare-provider Doctify has raised an additional $7.5 million in its latest funding round, bringing their total raise to date to $20 million.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Fighting brain drain and creeping authoritarianism in Russia’s techno-utopian village.
- Europe could be seeing the decline of its gig economy. And new rules could mean higher prices.
- US venture capital firm Icon Ventures is opening a Dublin office as a base to scout out more deals in Europe. The Silicon Valley VC invests in later stage start-ups, usually at the Series B and C rounds.
- Researchers and business executives have stepped up their appeal to the EU this week to remove the threat of a ban on the UK, Israel and Switzerland from multi-billion euro EU quantum and space projects.
Today's Top Tweets
Here’s for all of us in the United States of Europe (yes yes. UK is still a part)! When one of us is recognized we all are ❤️ https://t.co/SHbtRigtwR
— Reshma Sohoni (@rsohoni) April 13, 2021
Just 2 days until #ScaleUpEurope’s first virtual workshop! 🚀 Join us on April 15 for expert views and advice on Talent & the Future of Work – and discover how we can attract more global and diverse tech talent to Europe 👉 https://t.co/8ykCLF6Cc8 pic.twitter.com/bugIe4r0wy
— #ScaleUpEurope (@ScaleUpEuropeEN) April 13, 2021
If anyone was doubting Europe tech is on 🔥 here is what we have been experiencing in numbers. https://t.co/lgNBlpNK7q More than double funding amounts year over year and close to double over the last quarter of 2020. Probably the fastest growing region in the world
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) April 13, 2021
"Meet the man using AI to hunt down the world's rarest diseases" @TimGuilliams @healx tells the @Telegraph about how Healx uses AI to accelerate the development of #raredisease treatments. With great insights from Healx CTO @Geek_Manager. https://t.co/pf0JuNsK4y
— Balderton Capital (@balderton) April 13, 2021
— Christoph Janz (@chrija) April 13, 2021
2021 is the make-or-break year for #ClimateAction, but only real actions! Join our petition against #greenwashing so that companies claiming to be carbon neutral share their carbon footprint ✍️ Join our petition, spread the word, and let's make 2021 count!https://t.co/V0mtf343un pic.twitter.com/O4eV0ALIgC
— Plan A (@PlanAearth) April 13, 2021
SCOOP! I got a leak of the European Commission's upcoming AI laws. The Commission wants to ban certain uses of high-risk artificial intelligence systems and only allow risky AI tech into the EU’s internal market if it has been vetted https://t.co/50KNDVsyiE
— Melissa Heikkilä (@Melissahei) April 13, 2021
We've just shipped a fresh special episode of our podcast!
🎤 @ZeenaQureshi of @sonanticlabs talks about creating the “CGI of the audio world”;
🎤 Elise Moutarlier of @LovysInsurance shares her experience of building a digital insurance provider 👇https://t.co/OBMKLKg0vJ
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) April 13, 2021
We're off — EU privacy regulators' opinion in 🇬🇧 data flows decision being presented in parliament on April 19.
— Vincent Manancourt (@vmanancourt) April 13, 2021
Too many VCs think their shit don’t stink & that their work is extremely important to founders, deep, profound, while making deals covered in bias, gatekeeping, sexism & racism.
So when you see the stats like in this article.... LOL💀😂 https://t.co/Jo7QBtQFRf
— Jelena Jansson (@jelenajansson) April 12, 2021
Today, we’re excited to announce our newest exploration: the limited release of Car Thing, a new smart player that fills your car with music, news, entertainment, talk and more. Get the details 🚗 https://t.co/TfMBRUMRcm
— Spotify News (@SpotifyNews) April 13, 2021
Digital platforms are redefining the way we work, learn, innovate and collaborate. Our CEO and Co-founder @niklasoestberg will be speaking @PlatformLeadrs to explore how #DeliveryHero’s platform success enabled resilience for its users and ecosystem participants.#likeheroes pic.twitter.com/4Z5o3lWjsY
— Delivery Hero (@deliveryherocom) April 13, 2021
Three years of negotiations later …
"The European Parliament’s industry and research committee ITRE, today overwhelmingly voted to move Horizon Europe, the EU’s multiannual framework programme for research, closer to the finish line.”https://t.co/6InozVuP6V
— Robin Wauters @ tech.eu (@robinwauters) April 13, 2021
Making it possible for software engineers to become hardware designers and for companies to build and deploy AI solutions in weeks instead of (12+) months.
I love to see game changers, especially from unexpected places 🇷🇸💪
Go, go @EarlybirdVC & #anariAIhttps://t.co/SaPeqjYTHn
— Zoja Kukic (@ZojaKu) April 13, 2021
Europe is taking tech’s center stage - check out this article by @tech_eu and look at the latest European #Unicorns: 27 billion-dollar startups minted in Europe in Q1’2021
🦄 https://t.co/xL1g8g9dnz#startups #europe #eu #tech
— BRIDGE IN (@BridgeInPt) April 13, 2021
— Invest in Estonia (@EstoniaInvest) April 13, 2021
Last year, we processed close to $10 billion worth of transactions from more than 50 countries. Join the millions of people sending money with WorldRemit. pic.twitter.com/wBu2A4XWXp
— WorldRemit (@WorldRemit) April 13, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.