Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– Germany-based air taxi startup Lilium has announced their intentions to list on Nasdaq via a merger with a SPAC called Qell Acquisition Corp. The transaction values Lilium at $3.3 billion.
– Milan-based online grocery shopping platform Everli has raised $100 million in a Series C round.
– Spotify will acquire Betty Labs, the company behind the Locker Room, which focuses on live audio.
– Israeli fintech startup Capitolis has completed a $90 million series C funding round, led by Silicon Valley’s Andreessen Horowitz.
– GoStudent, the Vienna-based e-learning startup, has completed a €70 million Series B round led by new investor Coatue together with existing partners Left Lane Capital and DN Capital, only 4 months after the increase of its Series A.
– Tel Aviv-based information customer content self service provider Zoomin has raised $52 million in a series C round. Led by General Atlantic, the round also saw participation from existing investors Bessemer Venture Partners, Salesforce Ventures and Viola Growth.
– London-based men’s health platform Manual has closed a series A round totalling $30 million.
– Finch Capital, the early-stage fintech VC with a presence in London and Amsterdam, is acquiring Wirecard Turkey, a subsidiary of Wirecard, the disgraced fintech out of Germany.
– London-based Buy Now Pay Later platform Butter has raised £15.8 million in a new round.
– Inching their way towards an IPO, Amsterdam-based cloud communications platform MessageBird has acquired video platform 24sessions and Atlanta-based customer data platform hull.io.
– Amsterdam-based Hiber has secured €26 million in EU funding and private investments to expand its global IoT satellite network.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– Epic Games today said it had filed a complaint to the UK’s antitrust watchdog in support of the government department’s ongoing investigation into Apple’s alleged anti-competitive behaviour.
– Wise, the UK payments giant, is drawing up plans to keep control of the company in the hands of its chief executive and early investors if it pursues a highly anticipated London Stock Exchange flotation.
– The European Commission may “have to go further” on introducing more robust rules for Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies that pose a risk to fundamental rights, a letter written by President von der Leyen to MEPs, obtained by EURACTIV, states.
– Over in Russia, Sberbank and Mail.ru are on the brink of divorce with regards to its $1.6 billion tech joint-venture.
– A new draft programme dated earlier in March gives more details of 15 research calls that will see the European Commission invest nearly €3.4 billion over the next two years to underpin a transition to a digital and green economy and promote Europe’s strategic autonomy.
– German software company Teamviewer has struck a five-year sponsorship deal with the Mercedes Formula 1 and Formula E teams, following its recent shirt deal with soccer club Manchester United.
– Zego, which provides commercial motor insurance for self-employed drivers and riders to businesses with entire fleets of vehicles, has taken its first steps into the world of food delivery insurance.
Today’s Top Tweets
— Spotify News (@SpotifyNews) March 30, 2021
Friends, exciting day: we’re revealing our 7-Seater Lilium Jet, which has been in stealth mode for 2 years AND plans to list on NASDAQ through a merger with Qell, adding phenomenal investors and gross proceeds of $830m to help bring this jet to market. https://t.co/GECrWJVx9H pic.twitter.com/w7drWNSsnP
— Lilium (@Lilium) March 30, 2021
Thank you to CEOs of 🇪🇺 Unicorns for sharing your success stories, experiences & ideas on how to improve #innovation in 🇪🇺!💡
We need to address long standing issues, improve collaboration 🤝, attract more finance 💶 & incentivize our most brilliant minds ✨ to stay in 🇪🇺. pic.twitter.com/0QCDJXsLoE
— Mariya Gabriel (@GabrielMariya) March 30, 2021
Just putting this out here: the @EU_Commission (@GabrielMariya) today had a call with leaders of almost 3 dozen European unicorns and other high-growth businesses from across the bloc, in order to bounce ideas back and forth about how better to support innovators in the future.
— Robin Wauters @ tech.eu (@robinwauters) March 30, 2021
– Investing in life sciences
– Healthcare and emerging technology
– The parallels between VC and academic work
— Associated (@associated_pod) March 30, 2021
Facebook on Tuesday (30 March) told Irish lawmakers to hold off on going ahead with proposed rules to regulate online political advertising until the European Commission presents its own legislation in the field 1/4: https://t.co/Aq6gKmgxBF
— Samuel Stolton (@SamuelStolton) March 30, 2021
Introducing Piper Make: a Raspberry Pi Pico-friendly drag-n-drop coding tool that’s free for anyone to use.
— Raspberry Pi (@Raspberry_Pi) March 30, 2021
Introducing the newest member of @Contentful’s executive leadership team, Carla Cooper! She’s joining us as our new CFO after serving as VP Finance & Strategy at Salesforce.
Find out why she went “all in” for Contentful in this interview: https://t.co/juqfRTmzuB
— Contentful (@contentful) March 30, 2021
In case you missed our CEO @AviMeir’s debut on #clubhouse, here’s a quick recap of his top tips for #startups to survive a crisis.
Special thanks to @tech_eu and our host @adegeler! https://t.co/JP0lkHPjFM
— TravelPerk (@travelperk) March 30, 2021
*New Episode*: Sujata Bhatia, COO of Monzo Bank on – Navigating the Pandemic; How She Thinks of Competition; Monzo’s OKR process; Diversity in Fintech.
Listen at https://t.co/L6sopoVrq3 #startups #entrepreneurship #podcast #podernfamily
— Anita Moorthy (@anitamoorthy) March 30, 2021
This is a very significant worry – and it is not (just) COVID related. It is a trend that has been evident since 2017 – significantly more capital going to later stage businesses while early-stage businesses are struggling… https://t.co/9gipV80Grv
— Brian Caulfield (@BrianCVC) March 30, 2021
— Silicon Allee (@siliconallee) March 30, 2021
— Crowdfunding News (@Crowdfundnews) March 30, 2021
— Reshma Sohoni (@rsohoni) March 30, 2021
📣 @Luxinnovation invites tech startups from around the world to join its ‘Fit 4 Start’ acceleration programme.
If you have an ICT, health tech or space tech company, take note!
Deadline for applications = 15 Aprilhttps://t.co/nTFXxCPMDj
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) March 30, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.