Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– French cloud-based phone system and call centre platform Aircall has raised $120 million and now sits at a valuation of over $1 billion.
– Israeli proprietary chip developer for deep learning on edge devices Hailo is completing a $100 million financing round at a company valuation of $1 billion.
– Kaiko, a Paris, France-based cryptocurrency market data provider, raised $24 million in Series A funding.
– Built over two rounds, employee training platform Masterplan has raised $13 million in convertible loans.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– A ruling by Europe’s top court has shed some light on the conditions under which content-sharing platforms are exempted from responsibility for copyright infringements, with potentially far-reaching implications for the EU’s Copyright Directive and the Digital Services Act.
– The European Commission laid out its vision for a Joint Cyber Unit to tackle evolving cyberthreats and to increase European resilience.
– The Innovative Health Initiative (IHI) will launch at least 30 large-scale cross-sector health innovation projects by 2030, contributing to a creation of an EU-wide ecosystem for translating research into improvements in healthcare.
– Tech.eu Podcast: Patient capital in European healthtech, with Fiona Pathiraja, Crista Galli Ventures.
– Britain’s streaming services and broadcasters should be on a level playing field, as traditional broadcasters now compete with “one hand tied behind their backs”, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.
– Leta Capital makes a play of investing in Russian-speaking entrepreneurs based just about anywhere. It’s now launching its third and largest fund to date and says it will invest over $100 million in UK, European, and US-based growth-stage tech companies over the next three years.
Today’s Top Tweets
Congratulations to Crystal Peak Acquisition, a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (#SPAC) looking to acquire a technology company in the European and wider EMEA digital and technology ecosystems, as it lists on @euronext Amsterdam. pic.twitter.com/djgBE9e31m
— Euronext (@euronext) June 22, 2021
— Raphael Robert (@raphaelrobert) June 23, 2021
The European Competition Network (ECN) publishes a joint paper addressing the issue of the involvement of national competition authorities in the Digital Markets Act #DMA
ECN-Press release ➡️https://t.co/TiTQYeTqob
Paper ➡️https://t.co/TVWb9SJW6N pic.twitter.com/tmUX4bfYnX
— Bundeskartellamt (@Kartellamt) June 23, 2021
It would seem that Pres Macron’s ambitious call to have 25 Fr unicorns by 2025 seems highly feasible.
It might not be the pace that @katborlongan @LaFrenchTech prophesies but there’s no denying that #FrenchTech is on a roll.@DraperEsprit @Aircall @Ledgerhttps://t.co/d0yu4HZM68
— CREATECH (@CreaTechIO) June 23, 2021
Important Brand Evolution. Adapting Barcelona Tech City to its new reality. From now on Barcelona Tech City is Tech Barcelona
Discover our new website at https://t.co/xYKEDyglNK
We evolved with the ecosystem and it is time to face the challenges with a n…https://t.co/TGSJt3BaS5
— Miquel Marti (@MiquelMarti11) June 23, 2021
For those who are interested in tech for its investment prospects, this *may* be the biggest story of the month.
Babylon Health is huge, and their prospective SPAC currently sells for peanuts. https://t.co/H11GHgUdXB
— Bootcamp Dre (@wbscodingschool) June 23, 2021
European Research and Innovation Days has begun. As an official media partner, we’ll be bringing stories and highlights as we find out how this year’s events are reshaping European research. #RiDaysEUhttps://t.co/muTaVDWWNV
— Horizon Magazine (@HorizonMagEU) June 23, 2021
I am getting numerous requests to talk about how the European ecosystem is different today compared to 2005. There is a lot to talk about here but if there are any data resources anybody recommends please Twitter do your thing!
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) June 23, 2021
Fintech startup @joinAirbank have raised €2.5M in seed funding.
Founded through our Berlin cohort by @chriszemina and Patrick de Castro Neuhaus, the company gives small businesses insight, control and automation over their finances.
— Entrepreneur First (@join_ef) June 22, 2021
Europe is at the forefront of regulation, and setting global precedents for regulatory models and the future of the #OpenInternet. Today, Twitter is joining together with @automattic, @jodelapp, @seznam_cz & @Vimeo in response to the #DigitalServicesAct. More here: https://t.co/NgBklwsN5W
— Vijaya Gadde (@vijaya) June 23, 2021
Q. What does Lina Khan's antitrust drive mean for Europe? asks @Nicolas_Colin in latest @Siftedeu column
A. Innovation in tech regulation can only be as strong as innovation in business creation https://t.co/MdrmoiGi7h pic.twitter.com/0o1bA9EorW
— John Thornhill (@johnthornhillft) June 23, 2021
Congratulations to Norwegian startup @memoryhq on securing their investment "Norway’s Memory, the makers behind the ever-so-popular automatic time tracking app @timelyapp has raised $14 million…" More here: https://t.co/cSkDxBacWm #nordicmade #remoteworkingsolutions #hr
— TechNordicAdv (@TechNordicAdv) June 23, 2021
— Balderton Capital (@balderton) June 23, 2021
#VivaTech was 1 week ago! We want to thank you for making the 2021 hybrid edition a big success We had an amazing 4 days, with 140,000 attending in-person and online. It was so good to reconnect! pic.twitter.com/ameKcWE6JD
— #VivaTech (@VivaTech) June 23, 2021
Thrilled to officially welcome @ContilioHQ into the Pi Labs family! We are delighted to be supporting Contilio’s expansion and believe that #ConTech will offer many innovations that will improve our built world. Delighted to be supporting the team! https://t.co/M8pZANUqWU
— Pi Labs (@Pi_Labs) June 23, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.