Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– Quietly announced over the weekend, Polish footwear and accessories retailer eobuwie’s majority shareholder CCC signed the papers with SoftBank Vision Fund 2 that saw a $130 million investment.
– London-based VC firm Forward Partners has announced its intention to trade on AIM (Alternative Investment Market), a sub-market of the London Stock Exchange.
– Bugatti and Croatia-based Rimac are partnering to create one hypercar mega-company, with both firms to team up on future technologies. Rimac will effectively take control of Volkswagen’s Bugatti brand in a deal that cements its position as an established automotive force.
– Nexperia, a Dutch chip firm owned by China’s Wingtech, plans to acquire the UK’s largest chip producer, Newport Wafer Fab. The financial details of the deal were not disclosed, but two CNBC sources said that it’s worth around £63 million.
– With its novel approach to invoice factoring, Arex Markets has raised €8.8 million in a Series-A round. The Dublin-based startup uses an algorithm-based trading mechanism that opens up capital for SME’s and provides professional investors the opportunity to invest in SME assets directly without transaction costs.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– Revolut, the British-based banking and payments app, is reportedly in detailed talks with SoftBank’s Vision Fund 2, the world’s largest technology fund, about a fundraising that could value it at well over $30 billion.
– Sweden’s financial watchdog is investigating whether buy-now-pay-later (BNPL) fintech Klarna has violated bank secrecy laws following a security breach in May.
– Booking.com announced the creation of a new internal FinTech business unit to facilitate seamless access to the company’s global travel marketplace for both customers and partners.
– UK-based online electrical retailer AO wants to more than double its turnover in five years’ time.
– London’s Dawn Capital has announced two internal promotions, Mina Mutafchieva to Partner, and Dan Chaplin to Principal. With Mina’s appointment, she now joins Evgenia Plotnikova as the second female partner (of five) at Dawn.
– Revolut’s chief operating officer, Steve Harman, has left the fintech after 10 months in the role as rumours swirl about a SoftBank-backed fundraising round.
– UK-based Zapp, an on-demand delivery service, has launched its services in Amsterdam. Additionally, Zapp has also revealed that Dutch entrepreneur and celebrity icon Bas Smit has become an investor in the company.
Today’s Top Tweets
— Forward Partners (@ForwardPrt) July 5, 2021
Google’s appeal of the Commission’s Android fine will be heard between September 27 and October 1. https://t.co/xVur1lrAhN
— Laura Kayali (@LauKaya) July 5, 2021
Last week we announced our Series A investment into @FabricNano. Today Atomico Partner @Sirajkhaliq shares his personal story of Why we were so excited to partner with @gaarons & @FerdyRandisi in Thank you Biology & So Long, Petrochemicals: https://t.co/jjPQsau3EI
— Atomico (@atomico) July 5, 2021
Need some media attention for your business in 2021? Our @robinwauters , together with @mparts_ @Siftedeu, @CordeliaMeacher @WeAreFieldHouse , and @RylandJulie Gelato, will share their PR secrets on 10 August 12:00 ECST at @OsloIW #oiw2021!
Join us https://t.co/MHFx3qTXun pic.twitter.com/UAMpgroVka
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) July 5, 2021
Huge congrats to all the winners at #TheEuropas on Friday night!
All the winners are listed here, with links. More assets to come! https://t.co/43YafaIZdz
Zebra Medical Vision
Neil Rimer, Index Ventures
— The Europas (@TheEuropas) July 5, 2021
Dealflow #275: Deporvillage acquired for €140m. Treinta raised $14m. Microverse raised $12.5m. https://t.co/WpitvAUuX7
— DealflowES (@dealflowes) July 5, 2021
I volunteered at Slush for the first time in 2014 and continued in 2015, 2016 and 2017. In 2018, I joined the full-time team. For me, volunteering at Slush helped me to realize especially three things (1/3) https://t.co/tMnWbQHreZ
— Miika Huttunen (@MiikaHuttunen) July 5, 2021
The Italian Data Protection Authority (@GPDP_IT) announced it imposed a BIG fine on an organization for failing to comply with Article 22 of the GDPR. The DPA also ordered the company to bring the algorithms used into compliance with the provisions of the EU GDPR. https://t.co/Dgm3tFqLmn
— Luis Alberto Montezuma (@montezumachavez) July 5, 2021
End of season 2: I would like to thank all the VCs I had the chance to interview this year – spending time more impactful to me than any MBA.
I learned so much along the way and met incredible investors that I believe, will help drive the success of the European tech scene. pic.twitter.com/MFgXhu6OJ3
— Mehdi Benjelloun (@mehdibnjln) July 5, 2021
When I moved to Europe in 2017, I got many confused looks from people in tech/VC…
But fast forward 4 years, and I'm hearing LPs say, "The opportunity in venture is Europe. That's where the alpha will be – I want to increase my exposure."
— Maren Bannon (@Maren_Bannon) July 2, 2021
— Shila R@y (@shila_ray) July 4, 2021
Alex van Someren is the new Chief Scientific Adviser for National Security. I spoke to him last year about investing on behalf of the secretive National Security Strategic Investment Fund https://t.co/MGG3nN4Iu6 pic.twitter.com/629pTHXoeJ
— James Cook (@JamesLiamCook) July 5, 2021
A new lens on performance: our member-only European #PrivateEquity Benchmark Report supports the drive to more consistent and robust performance metrics that can enable investors to compare assets more easily. Read it here: https://t.co/mkmQiZN0FO#PrivateEquityPerformance
— Invest Europe (@InvestEuropeEU) July 5, 2021
London's e-Scooter trials have been extended to the City of London and northern parts of Lambeth. Southwark is also becoming a "ride-through" borough. The number of e-scooters available to hire across London will increase from around 600 to 1200 as the new areas join
— Sam Shead (@Sam_L_Shead) July 5, 2021
This recording is now available on YouTube thanks to the awesome @TechChill folks
— Robin Wauters @ Tech.eu (@robinwauters) July 5, 2021
️ We are delighted to bring you the issue #3 of our newsletter ¡Alirón!https://t.co/q0HFV4fuuC
— All Iron Ventures (@AllIronVentures) July 5, 2021
What does European sovereignty mean in today’s digital world? A panel of experts – @PowerDNS_Bert @turunen_erja @peterganten @ylechelle +moderator @obrien – take on the question in an exclusive panel next week!
⏰ July 12, 14:30 CET
— Scaleway (@Scaleway) July 5, 2021
Then join the competition, @UiPath Automation Awards 2021 Edition!
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) July 5, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.