The tech.eu Podcast is a show in which we discuss some of the most interesting stories from the European technology scene and interview leading entrepreneurs and investors from across the region.
This week, we talk about some of the biggest stories in European tech, such as Germany-based Wirecard's ongoing implosion, big funding rounds for Checkout.com, Swile and Cazoo, and the ruling from Germany's highest court that Facebook needs to immediately stop merging and sharing user data across its platforms. Later in the show, you'll hear an interview with Steve King, co-founder and CEO of UK-based AI tech startup Black Swan.
You can find the latest episode embedded below. Subscribe to the podcast today and don’t miss new episodes:
And here are the notes and links for this week’s episode:
Wirecard's wild ride down
- 'The Enron of Germany’: Wirecard scandal casts a shadow on corporate governance (CNBC)
- EY prepares for backlash over Wirecard scandal (Financial Times)
- Germany to sever ties with accounting watchdog after Wirecard scandal (Reuters)
Germany's top court rules against Facebook's 'superprofiling'
- Germany’s highest court orders Facebook to stop cross-platform data sharing (EURACTIV)
- Facebook Loses Antitrust Decision in Germany Over Data Collection (The New York Times)
- Germany's top court rules against Facebook on users' data (Deutsche Welle)
Highlighting three big funding rounds:
- Checkout.com triples valuation to $5.5 billion, making it one of Europe’s top fintechs (CNBC)
- French fintech scale-up Swile secures €70 million to extend beyond its digital meal voucher alternative (tech.eu)
- Cazoo raises $31 million at $1 billion+ valuation to help you buy used cars online (tech.eu)