Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Danish consumer-review site Trustpilot rose as much as 16% before trimming gains on its first trading day in London after its IPO raised about $655 million.
- Rocket Internet Growth Opportunities, a US-listed SPAC formed by Rocket Internet targeting the tech sector, raised $250 million by offering 25 million units at $10.
- Online pensions startup PensionBee has said it intends to float on the London Stock Exchange in an IPO of its shares. PensionBee, which has £1.5 billion in assets under management, said it would seek a listing on the high-growth segment of London’s main market.
- Finnish open source software company Aiven has raised $100 million in a Series C round that values the firm at north of $800 million. The financing round was led by Atomico.
- After completing a financing round of approximately $100 million, Israeli proptech firm Veev's shares have been listed on TASE UP, a new platform that allows technology companies to raise capital without performing an IPO.
- Virtual event darling Hopin has just announced the acquisitions of video hosting provider Streamable and video technology company Jamm. Figures were not disclosed.
- Dutch innovative food company Meatable has closed $47 million in its Series A funding round, bringing the company’s total funding to $60 million.
- UK-based investment startup Freetrade has raised £50 million in a Series B round. The firm’s app offers commission-free stock investment and is targeted at millennials in an effort to solve what it sees as generational inequality.
- Parisian VC founded and entrepreneur staffed Breega has closed its third fund totalling €110 million. This latest round brings the total amount of funds under management to €260 million.
- Communications surveillance group VoxSmart has closed a $25 million funding round led by Toscafund Asset Management. Headquartered in London, VoxSmart supports over 100 blue chip financial market customers to monitor and reconstruct trade chatter from voice, mobile, email and messaging in order to detect signals of malpractice and market abuse.
- Online-only and direct-to-consumer furniture maker Tylko has raised €22 million. The round was led by Israeli Pitango Ventures and Finnish Evli Growth Partners.
- GV - formerly Google Ventures - has invested $18.5 million in UK-based machine-learning startup nPlan.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Deliveroo’s IPO will value the company between £7.6 billion and £8.8 billion, which is higher than previous reports had suggested. The biggest individual winner will be Deliveroo CEO Will Shu. Overall, however, Amazon stands to gain the most from the IPO.
- Apple has put privacy at the heart of its sales pitch to users, but an internal document from France's data regulator suggests the iPhone maker's own targeted advertising practices may be problematic.
- Over in the UK, the CMA is taking a leading anti-virus software firm, Norton, to court after it refused to provide certain information for an investigation into auto-renewing contracts.
- Parrot was a darling of the consumer drone boom. Now that the bubble has popped, founder Henri Seydoux is trying to build a future in commercial drones.
- Wolves Summit is kicking off tomorrow. On Thursday (25 March), tech.eu will be curating and hosting the CEE-focused Scale-Up Stage, from noon to 4PM CET.
- As debate rages over European control of sensitive technologies, Germany’s parliamentary state secretary Thomas Rachel backs ‘full participation' of Israel, Switzerland and UK in EU quantum and space projects.
Today's Top Tweets
Inbox: N26 has poached Soundcloud's chief product officer, Gilles BianRosa.
He replaces Georgie Smallwood, who left the German neobank last year to join e-scooter startup Tier.
— Ryan Browne (@Ryan_Browne_) March 23, 2021
Happy to be a judge for the 2021 edition of The Europas! Have good memories of past editions (the ones I still have hehe).
And great that so many of the judges are amazing women - I’m in good company indeed!https://t.co/AYQxGSixrc https://t.co/1UGtlzQaO9
— Robin Wauters @ tech.eu (@robinwauters) March 23, 2021
We believe that video is the oxygen of online connection. So excited to have @TheRealArmen & @baddn join the Hopin family. We're doubling down on innovation in video/audio communication as well as planning to offer awesome video hosting/editing.https://t.co/LaKnhuPKVM
— Johnny Boufarhat (@johnnyboufarhat) March 23, 2021
🆕⚡️Delivery of the #EU Vega Supercomputer in 🇸🇮🇪🇺
With a performance of over 6.8 Petaflops🖥️this #HPC will help with:
💻🧑🏫 Machine learning
📈🖥️ #Data analytics
Discover more ➡️ https://t.co/HQRy20euWm#EuroHPC #EuroHPC_JU pic.twitter.com/oRbLKwrxsU
— Digital EU 🇪🇺 (@DigitalEU) March 23, 2021
Yet another technology company co-founded by an Estonian, @IDme, has reached billion dollar valuation and unicorn status, strengthening #Estonia's position as the world's most successful #unicornfactory. https://t.co/rWOxBckUOh
— Invest in Estonia (@EstoniaInvest) March 23, 2021
NEWS - Our dream to make real, tasty meat without harming animals or the planet just got one step closer with our Series A round. https://t.co/k5Tu4JdbU5 #Meatable #TheNewNatural #CultivatedMeat #FutureOfFood #FoodScience #foodsecurity #pork #beef #sustainability pic.twitter.com/v0JJ6bZFfg
— Meatable (@itsmeatable) March 23, 2021
Revealed: Ministers have agreed a deal to establish a $1bn fund to invest in the UK life sciences industry through a partnership with Mubadala, the Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund. An MoU is understood to have been signed in recent days, with an announcement imminent.
— Mark Kleinman (@MarkKleinmanSky) March 23, 2021
From announcing new board members @chrisvdk and @justincooke last week to sharing the news today of our $5m pre-series A fundraise. Welcome to Blippar and congratulations to all the Blippar team on this milestone @ChromaVentures @AnthonyLacavera @SirTomhunter
— faisal galaria (@fais_4) March 23, 2021
Ruh roh — In leaked doc, France’s #privacy watchdog questions @Apple’s own advertising practices, saying iPhone maker *may* breach Europe’s strict data protection standards https://t.co/9H8PfpeMQ7 HT: @LauKaya
— Mark Scott (@markscott82) March 23, 2021
👏👏👏 to my colleague Mor Chen for making the @ForbesUnder30 list for Israel! Mor has been an incredible asset to our European team and an active board member of the 8200 Alumni Association@Forbes @Accel https://t.co/8WE4atVLXs pic.twitter.com/HUdR2hJ2Vj
— Philippe Botteri (@pbotteri) March 23, 2021
Excited to announce our newest episode with @PauliinaMar from @MakiVentures. We discuss:
💼 Her personal story and career journey from PR to VC
🚀 Maki VC's incredible internship programme
🛠 Pauliina's go-to productivity tool
Listen below 🎧https://t.co/S3xYDxLvdK
— Associated (@associated_pod) March 23, 2021
#EUStateAid Commission 🇪🇺 approves €146.5 million Austrian 🇦🇹 support in favour of companies joining research and innovation project in microelectronics ⬇️https://t.co/5kDALlrLr6 pic.twitter.com/4NTukwcxQ6
— EU Competition (@EU_Competition) March 23, 2021
— deutsche-startups.de (@DStartups) March 23, 2021
— Ecommerce News (@EcommercenewsEU) March 23, 2021
We’ve launched a sponsorship program for women trying to break into product management🎉
Product management roles around the world lack diversity – specifically female and non-binary representation.
So we partnered with @productschool to help eliminate barriers in tech careers.
— Wise (ex-TransferWise) (@Wise) March 23, 2021
InvestHorizon, a free accelerator program funded by the European Commission in partnership with Eureka, is looking for deep tech startups that aim to raise their Series A round of over €2.5M. The final deadline for applying is May 28, 2021. https://t.co/0iV0IPnqYN
— The Recursive (@therecursive_eu) March 23, 2021
On April 28-30 we'll be re-connecting the European startup scene at this year's EU-Startups Summit (Online). 🇪🇺🚀 See you there! 🙌 https://t.co/C4ST6He9RD
— EU-Startups (@EU_Startups) March 23, 2021
Pumped to announce @aiven_io's Series C, led by @Atomico. Congrats to the 🦀 team! Aiven's platform let's u fast launch fully-managed, #opensource, multi #cloud #data infrastructure.
Gain insights on a product-led growth strategy & inclusive #leadership: https://t.co/vgnyl1SeKj pic.twitter.com/x6ddZr4Dff
— Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) March 23, 2021
All eyes on CEE (scale-ups): Join our presentation for data-driven insights on the C/SEE innovation ecosystems and our curated four-hour Wolves Summit stage on Thursday 25 March!
>> Program: https://t.co/mB3y30fkOh
>> Tickets: https://t.co/4dsGm0ZfK7 pic.twitter.com/jfS7WID68s
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) March 23, 2021
Beekeeper acquires digital workflow platform for frontline companies in line with its strategy to build up a full-stack productivity and collaboration platform for frontline workers. https://t.co/jTTCK1tVwi | The Swiss Startup News channel https://t.co/rlNFChAvp4 pic.twitter.com/gxbDOdGOGq
— startupticker (@startuptickerCH) March 23, 2021
"The Investor Summit allowed us to interact face to face with very well-selected startups"
Peter Schmetz, investment manager at EUR 150 million VC fund of @Vorwerk_Gruppe, about how the Planted deal was initiated in Zurich🇨🇭
Read our interview: https://t.co/FK85BIC8zY #TOP100SSU pic.twitter.com/4MdSnfZdmV
— Venturelab (@venturelab_ch) March 23, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.