Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Blockchain.com, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency wallet providers, has raised $300 million in a mega fundraising round that values the company at $5.2 billion. The London-based start-up said its latest cash injection was led by DST Global partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners and VY Capital.
- Less than a year after its IPO on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, Israeli driver safety company SaverOne is considering a Nasdaq offering, or at least listing its shares on Wall Street.
- Berlin-based neobank Kontist raised a €25 million Series B funding round to bolster its tax services business, specifically with ‘real-time and AI-supported tax calculation for freelancers’.
- Berlin-based chauffeur service Blacklane has raised €22 million from existing investors, and plans to beef up its local and regional ride service as well as green travel.
- IKEA owner and operator Ingka Group has invested close to £12 million in location technology firm what3words via Ingka Investments.
- Amsterdam’s demand-response energy transition specialist Sympower has raised €5.2 million in a series B round. The funding comes from Kees Koolen, an early investor and former CEO and Chairman of Booking.com and early investor and international expansion advisor of Uber.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Facebook’s challenge to a German antitrust attack on its advertising model will head to the European Union’s top court after a national tribunal sought legal advice on EU data rules.
- Following an investigation in the UK, the CMA has provisionally found that the proposed merger between Crowdcube and Seedrs will reduce competition and innovation, effectively blocking it.
- The European Commission is on track with plans to present a digital tax by June despite recent progress at the level of the OECD, the Commission’s Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager has said.
- German authorities have developed technology allowing investors to buy and sell securities on the blockchain in return for central bank money, bridging a gap between two worlds that once seemed irreconcilable.
- Croatian ‘hypercar’ maker Rimac is opening an R&D office in the UK (Warwick Enterprise Park), planning to employ 30 people by the end of this year.
- The European Commission has launched Open Research Europe, a platform for scientific papers that is freely accessible to everyone.
- Inside the startup ecosystem of Albania: trends, main actors and next steps.
- In 2012 Bas Smeulders and two friends founded Sendcloud, an e-commerce shipping platform that helps online stores of various sizes grow by optimizing their shipping processes. Now, Sendcloud is one of the leading European B2B SaaS scale-ups in the Netherlands, with a team of over 270 employees and branches in both Germany and the Netherlands.
- Norway is the world’s most cashless country – but its central bank isn’t keen on bitcoin: ‘It doesn’t preserve stability’.
- Gary Dolman, a co-founder of Monzo, has joined a new start-up Tip Jar as an advisor to its board.
Today's Top Tweets
In many countries, female-founding teams receive around 2-3% of available funding. In Central and Eastern Europe, it's even *less* - see the full report by @ExperiorVC @UnconventionVc https://t.co/CRQ6VtKWt8
— Roxanne Varza (@roxannevarza) March 24, 2021
Portuguese startups represent! I mentioned yesterday Jumio's $150m shouldn't be seen as an outlier, and just like that, a $200m round comes along. https://t.co/W5BbUXearq
— Ingrid (@ingridlunden) March 24, 2021
Proud to launch #OpenResearchEurope, the fast cost-free & high-quality #openaccess publishing platform for #HorizonEU & its beneficiaries! 🔓
Check the first papers & submit yours!
🔔 Follow @OpenResearch_EU #OpenScience
👉 https://t.co/too30W8und pic.twitter.com/FvwBfsmFcZ
— Mariya Gabriel (@GabrielMariya) March 24, 2021
We’re one step closer to becoming a public company listed on the NYSE stock exchange.
Read the full press release below ⬇️https://t.co/yg4gHZfnY4
— EVBox (@evbox) March 24, 2021
The demise of Wirecard, once acclaimed as a rare German tech success, has rocked the country’s political and financial establishment. https://t.co/qB3a0Khztk
— hussein kanji (@hkanji) March 23, 2021
After recent success for French publishers, Google now announces a new agreement for remuneration with Italian press publishing groups https://t.co/nfy26jTdlO
— Samuel Stolton (@SamuelStolton) March 24, 2021
berlin-based meal kit scale-up @HelloFresh is today announcing that it is keen to reduce its dependency on delivery service providers and kickstarting its own ‘last-mile’ delivery operations, starting with Germany and Austria.https://t.co/46RP3zHXby
— tech.eu (@tech_eu) March 24, 2021
Hotel Housekeeping Labor Platform Spurs Tech Merger in Europe https://t.co/34RQ5LbuLd
— Skift (@skift) March 24, 2021
NEW: CMA finds competition concerns w/ merger of Crowdcube & Seedrs, UK's two biggest crowdfunding websites.
"A deal between the 2 could result in UK SMEs and investors losing out as a result of higher fees and less innovation."
— Oscar Williams-Grut (@OscarWGrut) March 24, 2021
. @oliviermathiot devient directeur général du fonds @2050do créé par Marie Ekeland 🤝
Le co-fondateur de PriceMinister organisera le véhicule, qui ambitionne d'investir un milliard d’euros d’ici à 2030.🚀 https://t.co/KVkswoPTfU pic.twitter.com/t7FTNQa6TG
— Maddyness (@bymaddyness) March 24, 2021
Happy to announce to all #H2020 and soon #HorizonEU beneficiaries that you can submit your results in #OpenResearchEurope, our new high-quality #openaccess publishing platform.
Together for #OpenScience.
Follow @OpenResearch_EU and find out more 👇 https://t.co/hRhXtI5WhN pic.twitter.com/XhEi4Q2l1t
— Jean-Eric Paquet (@JEPaquetEU) March 24, 2021
Thrilled to announce former @Microsoft and @DellEMC executive Cyrus Gilbert-Rolfe and former @Adobe and @Oracle veteran Pieter Joost Verhoef have joined #EVRYTHNG's Leadership team to support accelerating adoption of digitization by Consumer Brands #EMEA https://t.co/CWKYHSpw6B pic.twitter.com/ziWMcNcRHS
— EVRYTHNG (@EVRYTHNG) March 24, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.