Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Barcelona-based multi-category delivery service Glovo has entered the history books with a €450 million Series F funding round.
- Brussels-based app store optimisation tool AppTweak has raised $22 million from early investor Groupe Rossel in a series B round.
- Hungarian writing, thinking, and collaborating platform Craft Docs has raised $8 million in a Series A investment. Led by Creandum, the round also saw participation from InReach Ventures and Gareth Williams, co-founder and former CEO of Skyscanner.
- Tallinn-based proptech startup Bidrento has raised an undisclosed figure in an equity round led by Estonian unicorn Pipedrive founders Timo Rein and Urmas Purde.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Facebook is being sued for alleged fraud in buying Israeli startup Servicefriend.
- Over in the UK, the watchdog CMA has referred the acquisition of GIPHY by Facebook for an in-depth investigation.
- Europe’s struggle to compete in the supercomputing arena, and why it needs to go from buyer to builder.
- Celonis, a fast-growing German process mining software startup, has struck a strategic partnership with IBM to help companies make the most of the digital transformation that many are undergoing at speed.
France’s data protection watchdog CNIL began conducting checks to ensure websites are in compliance with new guidelines on advertising trackers after the deadline it granted expired.
- Smartphones, computers and other smart devices purchased in Russia must come pre-installed with Russian software after legislation came into force on Thursday, in a move that seeks to help Russian IT firms compete with foreign counterparts.
- A new report published by Forward Partners and Landscape VC reveals that almost half (47%) of all founders consider value-add more important than a VC firm’s brand and portfolio.
Today's Top Tweets
It's been a long and crazy ride from our @freigeist seed investment in @Lilium in 2015 to this week's announcement - a ride that I very much enjoy looking back on and that I am very glad is not over yet. Here's how it all started https://t.co/WiXZz8u9Vv
— Frank Thelen (@frank_thelen) April 1, 2021
💻 Today we’ve referred the purchase by Facebook of Giphy for an in-depth investigation, as a result of competition concerns in relation to digital advertising and social media .
Find out more: https://t.co/t1OIDJetqp
— Competition & Markets Authority (@CMAgovUK) April 1, 2021
Deliveroo IPO aside, looks like it's been a terrific start to the year for the London Stock Exchange. London IPOs raised ~£7.2 in Q1, a 15-year high.
Assuming Deliveroo's debut doesn't spook other tech firms (e.g. Darktrace/Wise), 2021 looking like a banner year for London IPOs. pic.twitter.com/4oss8UjeB4
— Ryan Browne (@Ryan_Browne_) April 1, 2021
No rebound for $ROO this morning - Deliveroo is down another 3.5% today. Should we blame overoptimistic bankers, short sellers, old-school City fund managers, gig worker protest...? Read the @FT analysis on how the IPO went so historically wrong https://t.co/QJEpUoxu0I
— Tim Bradshaw (@tim) April 1, 2021
— Sesamers (@sesamers) April 1, 2021
Less than two weeks to go before our next @tech_eu To The Point event (on green innovation/sustainability tech in Europe).
You can sign up here: https://t.co/csFQuge82s
— Robin Wauters @ Tech.eu (@robinwauters) April 1, 2021
— Northzone (@northzoneVC) April 1, 2021
Non-EU firms Palantir, Huawei and Alibaba were approved as members of Europe’s cloud initiative Gaia-X, which aims to boost Europe’s secure cloud services.
— Clothilde Goujard (@clothildegouj) April 1, 2021
In @JFLenhard's latest post for @gruenderszene, he speaks with #VCs including @HeilemannFabian about what can still happen in support of #ESG, and the presence of more 🦓 #rolemodels in the #startup ecosystem...
👀 🇩🇪 👇🏽 https://t.co/fCYSZdDsE8
— Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) April 1, 2021
💰 From raising €7m Series A to €70m Series B in less than 12 months?
🕵️ Find out more in our blogpost below how @GoStudent1 achieved this milestone and why we remain so excited around the opportunity.
🥳 Congrats again to the team - keep rocking! https://t.co/NoF09ERYqf
— DN Capital (@DNCapital) April 1, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.