Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– Not often that a European tech company buys a US-based company for half a billion dollars, but here we are: Norway’s Kahoot this morning announced that it is acquiring California-based Clever, a K-12 EdTech learning platform. The combination of two of the world’s leading digital learning platforms will set Kahoot back up to $500 million, of which up to $65 million will be paid based on performance.
– Paris-based AI SaaS provider to the insurance industry Shift Technology has raised $220 million in a Series D round led by Advent International. Avenir, Accel, Bessemer Venture Partners, General Catalyst, and Iris Capital also participated. With this round, Shift’s total investment to date rises to $320 million and gives the company a valuation of over $1 billion.
– Israeli company Simplex, which provides fiat infrastructure for the cryptocurrency ecosystem, is in advanced negotiations to be acquired by Canadian payment processing giant Nuvei for between $200-$250 million, Calcalist has learned.
– Sweden’s electric and autonomous freight mobility maker Einride has raised $110 million in a Series B round from new investors Temasek, Soros Fund Management, Northzone, Build Capital, and Maersk Growth.
– Moonfire Ventures founder and former Atomico co-founder Mattias Ljungman has launched a new $60 million fund with the goal of becoming the most data-driven VC firm in Europe.
– Microsoft is bolstering its Azure hybrid container platform capabilities with the purchase of Berlin-based startup Kinvolk, the company behind Flatcar Container Linux, an alternative to CoreOS Container Linux designed for container workloads.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– Microsoft has committed to its commercial and public sector customers in the EU that they will enable them to process and store all their data in the EU.
– Crowdcube launched a new secondary marketplace, and extending an invite to all high-growth European startups to come and use it. Called Cubex, the new marketplace has already been used to facilitate over £16 million in secondary share sales for fintechs like Freetrade and Revolut, but is now being opened up for non-Crowdcube startups to use.
– Intercity buses and trains this week are pulling out of European stations once again. FlixMobility, a German company that has run FlixBus intercity buses since 2013 and FlixTrain rail service on select European routes since 2018, is revving its engines.
– Investment in Spanish startups reaches €1,767,271 million in the first four months of 2021.
– Icometrix: How a winner of EIT Digital Challenge 2020 empowers radiologists — and helps COVID-19 patients.
Today’s Top Tweets
Today we are announcing a new pledge. If you are a commercial or public sector customer in the EU, you will not need to move your data outside the EU to use our core cloud services. We are beginning work on this immediately. https://t.co/uwoUXkfXwH
— JP Courtois (@JP_Courtois) May 6, 2021
I'm proud and excited to announce that today we officially launch Moonfire, our $60M data-driven seed fund. Read more about our ambitions, new team and new investments here: https://t.co/bh1QtZ1r5O #MoonfireLaunch pic.twitter.com/6mejsMbiEh
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) May 6, 2021
The partnership with @AstraZeneca supports our mission of helping the next generation groundbreaking founders and AstraZeneca's pioneering work to improve patients' lives and push the boundaries of science. We're beyond thrilled to continue our shared journey in 2021! https://t.co/1lSQQqZerU
— Slush (@SlushHQ) May 6, 2021
Scoop: We got hold of leaked numbers that show 10-minute grocery delivery app Getir is eyeing a pre-IPO round at a valuation of $7 billion. We also got hold of user numbers, and financials. w/ @CallumBurroughs https://t.co/QxlfqN8C4u
— Shona Ghosh (@shonaghosh) May 6, 2021
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 6, 2021
@Techleapnl publishes a new report on the development of AI Startups & Scaleups in the Netherlands!
Read the article to know 8 important takeaways from it.https://t.co/TGu6VMSHYA #news #technews #startups
— Silicon Canals – European technology news (@SiliconCanals) May 6, 2021
#PIONEERS consortium, coordinated by @PortofAntwerp, takes lead in greening of European ports & receives a 25 million euro grant from European #Horizon2020. PIONEERS is a highly ambitious project, rethinking all aspects of port operations. Read: https://t.co/toqMwDpEV5 #CINEA pic.twitter.com/2Z9uw1Dh7i
— Port of Antwerp (@PortofAntwerp) May 6, 2021
Glad to share this article on @icometrix, that helped hundreds of hospitals to diagnose COVID-19 patients. https://t.co/iIuwEolCAy
Prof. Wim Van Hecke, CEO of icometrix, joined #FH20 bringing his experience in disease knowledge and diagnostics. https://t.co/DqLuprkPmR pic.twitter.com/a7RekauUdS
— Frontiers Health (@FrontiersHealth) May 6, 2021
.@katborlongan is on a mission to turn France into the startup engine of the world. @azeem and Kat discuss how she and the @EmmanuelMacron government are approaching this mission https://t.co/oDA14x3ULz pic.twitter.com/R9jxqPw7tP
— Exponential View (@ExponentialView) May 5, 2021
Are you passionate about children & young people’s mental and emotional Health? @zincvc supports you to find a co-founder & build a business in this space, investing up to £250k. Apply now for their next pre-team, pre-idea Venture Builder Programme https://t.co/NQ8owXO1zo
— Eze Vidra (@ediggs) May 6, 2021
You wouldn't miss the sharp observations from the best entrepreneurs, investors and ecosystem insiders the region has to offer, would you?
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 6, 2021
€100m #EFSI loan to Belgian company Vandewiele to:
➡️ boost research, development and innovation
➡️ support their #DigitalTransition
➡️ improve the company’s carbon footprint. https://t.co/HN8w7dIRQh #investEU pic.twitter.com/a2eKizUAuW
— European Investment Bank (@EIB) May 6, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.