Now that Swedish investment group spilled the beans on the size and strategy of Rocket Internet, the "world's largest Internet incubator", let's see what they have to share about Zalando, the fashion e-commerce venture that's a major part of the Rocket family.
We've already published a pretty deep dive on Zalando after a visit to their headquarters in Berlin earlier this year, but it's still an interesting presentation to sift through (see doc below), particularly considering the fact that Zalando is widely expected to take its stock public this year.
Here are some of the highlights of the Zalando presentation at today's Kinnevik Rocket Capital Markets Day (emphasis ours):
- Zalando's annual revenue run-rate was 2 billion euros in Q1 2014 (revenue was 501 million euros for the quarter, but no sign of profits just yet)
- The company currently has approximately 13.5 million active customers.
- Zalando was the most visited fashion website outside of China in fiscal year 2013, achieving 332 million visits in Q1 2014 - of which at the end of Q1 2014 roughly 38% came from mobile devices.
- Zalando's assortment includes over 150,000 styles from more than 1,500 brands.
- Zalando is strong in tech but also logistics, with more than 250,000 square metres combined capacity (in leased, Europe-centrally located facilities throughout Germany).
- The company boasts localised operations through 15 regional businesses with 12 languages, 7 currencies, over 20 different payment methods and more than 12 logistics partners.
More presentations on Rocket Internet portfolio companies can be found here.