Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Parisian customer experience platform Contentsquare has raised $500 million in a Series E round led by SoftBank Vision Fund. Existing investors Bpifrance, Canaan, BlackRock, Eurazeo, Highland Europe and KKR all participated in the round.
- Moscow-based video-on-demand company IVI has raised $250 million in a Series D round led by VTB. Invest AG, and Millhouse also participated in the round, and existing investors Flashpoint Venture Capital, Baring Vostok, and the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) also followed on.
- Spanish mutli-category delivery platform Glovo has acquired two of Berlin-based Delivery Hero’s brands for €170 million. Ownership in Romania and Bulgaria’s foodpanda and Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina’s Donesi, and Croatia’s Pauza will all soon change hands.
- Paysend, a London-based fintech scale-up that has built a mobile-based payments platform has closed a round of $125 million in a Series B round.
- Dublin-based The Yield Lab Europe has announced almost €50 million at the second close of its agrifood tech fund. The fund, which focuses on seed and Series A startup investments in Ireland and Europe, welcomes new investors including the European Investment Fund.
- Austria-based pet tracking tech company Tractive has announced a $35 million Series A round led by Guidepost Growth Equity.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- The European Commission is set to open a formal probe into Facebook’s alleged anti-competitive practices as it seeks to understand whether the company is undermining rivals in classified advertising.
- The European Commission is expected to demand that Facebook, Google and Twitter alter their algorithms — and prove that they have done so — to stop the spread of online falsehoods.
- Know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em: Glovo CEO Oscar Pierre talks about their expansion hits and misses.
- New podcast episode alert: we interviewed Fred Lardieg, a partner at Mubadala Ventures Europe, which is a €450 million fund investing in European startups from Series B onwards.
- Klarna is launching a new tech hub in Madrid with plans to hire 500 new jobs, a large proportion of which will be focused on engineering.
- British chipmaker Arm has entered an engineering hiring freeze that may last until April 2022 when it expects its acquisition by Nvidia to complete.
- Uber plans to formally recognize a trade union in the UK that will give drivers increased powers to collectively bargain while also preserving the company’s worker model.
- US investment firm Tiger Global is on a spending spree in Europe while capital is cheap. It may not last.
- Europe's second-top court on Wednesday rejected a request by OHB to suspend a decision by the European Space Agency to exclude the German satellite company from a Galileo public contract, which went to its rivals Airbus and Thales Alenia Space.
Today's Top Tweets
Venture investment in Europe has exploded in recent quarters.
To get a sense where momentum is headed, we talked with @localglobevc founder @cape about where he’s seeing startup investment capital scaling up. https://t.co/c0tjiJoiHt
— Crunchbase News (@crunchbasenews) May 26, 2021
@dessaigne co-founded @algolia in Paris.
The team went through @ycombinator, returned to Europe, and later, Nicolas relocated to Silicon Valley.
Nicolas talks about the challenge of hiring in the US both before and after moving over himself.
— Index Ventures (@IndexVentures) May 26, 2021
— Fred Lardieg (@FredLardieg) May 26, 2021
There should be no one authorised to be the arbiter of the truth.
The EU Code of Practice on Disinformation will fully preserve freedom of speech and opinions.
Vice-President @VeraJourova ↓#DigitalEU #EUvsDisinfo pic.twitter.com/XdZj0X5A8e
— European Commission (@EU_Commission) May 26, 2021
I have the first version of the fundraising frilled guide and knowing @cee this is probably the most straightforward, entrepreneur friendly practical guide to funding.
Congrats @seedcamp team on putting this together! https://t.co/Mzz4E9X19Q
— Eze Vidra (@ediggs) May 26, 2021
#Estonia, the world’s first #digital nation, is calling for audacious innovators to join #AccelerateEstonia – a testbed for moonshot experiments combining the urgency of #startups and the power of the public sector.
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) May 26, 2021
Rovio names Kieran O’Leary as COO and appoints him and CTO Petri Hyökyranta to the leadership team. Read more: https://t.co/bLVldkfbux
— Rovio (@Rovio) May 26, 2021
Before I attended #QuantumTechCongress #Boston in 2019, I had no idea what #deeptech really meant as well. "High Tech, Low Understanding: Dear European 'deep tech' tech investors, we need to talk" https://t.co/EJtfWk8tqE #quantum #photonics #physics #lasers
— Michelle Lampa (@MCLampaSays) May 26, 2021
It’s a great time to join Glovo. In tech, we are hiring in Barcelona, Madrid, Warsaw and Kyiv! Join our team where curious and creative humans work together to create shared value for local communities globally! go @Glovo_ES! #Techjobs https://t.co/RW2bi4JGak
— Narek uɐᴉpɹǝΛ (@NarekVerdian) May 26, 2021
Super excited to announce that I’ll be joining the wonderful @seedcamp team for a 6 month stint as their new “Specialist in Rotation”.
During this time I’ll be using my design and product experience to help their founders grow and scale their product design function.
— Andy Budd (@andybudd) May 25, 2021
Today we are excited to announce our partnership with @Seedrs which will allow individuals in the Zinc community to take a new role in building and backing diverse Founders to build the next 100 mission-driven ventures: https://t.co/ltWYhifN3K
— Zinc (@zincvc) May 26, 2021
New interview with @MaelleGavet who was named CEO of @techstars earlier this year. The network of accelerators and entrepreneurs has a growing focus on impact ideas.
Gavet: "Entrepreneurs can impact the world no matter where they are."https://t.co/M88XkzRtct
— Chris O'Brien (@obrien) May 26, 2021
Exactly 9 yrs ago we invested in @Flywire out of Fund I, our first ever $1 million initial investment. Today, we've witnessed the first IPO of @KiboVentures portfolio. There's always a first time for everything! Very happy for @mpmassaro and all #flymates #FlyPO cc @Aquilino https://t.co/fXEa421oo6
— Javier Torremocha (@torremochaj) May 26, 2021
— Invest Europe (@InvestEuropeEU) May 26, 2021
Announcing the incredibly well-deserved promotion of my new partner Colin Hanna. @Balderton has come a long way in Germany since I was first pounding the streets in Berlin with @Bonanzinga and we made our early investments in @wooga and @contentful https://t.co/fRUWMEeDhh
— Rob Moffat (@robmoff) May 26, 2021
Super excited to welcome Jens Klein & team of @OriginBio to the @eqtventures portfolio, on a mission to eliminate the world's fossil fuels dependency. Thanks to @blueyard who's been on this journey even longer. https://t.co/jiQ12rzsmC
— Ted Persson (@tedpersson) May 26, 2021
This is your chance to join us and own shares in one of the UK's fastest growing Fintech startups.
Register for priority access.
Capital at risk. https://t.co/R1vTJsprGx
— Emma (@emma_finance) May 26, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.