Here’s what happened today in European Tech.
– LetsGetChecked, the Irish home health testing kit startup, is now valued at more than $1 billion after its latest funding round. The company has raised $150 million in a Series D round led by Casdin Capital with pro golfer Rory McIlroy investing again.
– Copenhagen-based HR/edtech software company Eloomi has scored $55 million in funding from Boston-based private equity firm Great Hill Partners to push for further growth in the US market.
– Alantra has reached a first close with more than €80 million of commitments in their Klima Energy Transition Fund.
– Munich-based digital healthcare startup Avi Medical has raised €28.5 million in a Series A round led by Heal Capital and Addition.
– London-based direct-to-consumer home decor startup Lick has raised $22 million in a Series A round led by OMERS Ventures.
– A startup backed by Visa is jostling to become a major player in business-to-business travel payment technology, following its acquisition of UK-based Ixaris, a transaction which is planned for the third quarter. The amount has not been disclosed.
– We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
– Google said it would make changes to its global advertising business to ensure it did not abuse its dominance, bowing to antitrust pressure for the first time in a landmark settlement with French authorities. The deal with the French competition watchdog saw Google fined €220 million and marks the first time the US tech giant has agreed to make changes to its huge advertising business, which brings in the bulk of its revenue.
– Robert Bosch opened a €1 billion chip plant in Germany today, a record investment by the automotive supplier as it stakes a claim to equipping the latest electric and self-driving cars.
– China Is the Elephant in the Room as Europe Targets American Tech.
– Uber’s ride-hailing business has returned to pre-pandemic levels in the UK in mid-May, as the easing of lockdown restrictions spurred users to get back on the road faster than the company expected.
– Ahead of its results next week, listed fintech investor Augmentum Fintech has disclosed that it is considering another public market fundraise in the coming months.
– The Bank of England says stablecoins used as money would be expected to face the same regulatory standards as those attached to bank deposits.
Today’s Top Tweets
“The tech tax is a startling surrender for a Treasury Secretary. Ms. Yellen appears to have acquiesced to European demands that the tax be tailored so narrowly that it would apply primarily to U.S. digital companies and not large European manufacturers.” https://t.co/3tEip8uiOE
— Edmund Heaphy (@edmundheaphy) June 6, 2021
1/ We're super excited to officially welcome @david_hola_ as an Associate at Point Nine!
We'll followup with a proper intro blog post some time soon, but here's super quick 9 sec intro:https://t.co/ARHQFYri0k
David will work closely with me and the @PointNineCap team to …
— Christoph Janz (@chrija) June 7, 2021
UK has until end of month to reach a data-transfer deal w/ Europe. That deadline now looks unlikely after UK court overturned exemptions in UK data protection rules for access to immigrants’ data.
London needs to fix that before deal can be signed https://t.co/XRpFvTbfFm
— Mark Scott (@markscott82) June 7, 2021
— EU Young Leaders (@EYL40) June 7, 2021
The new EU #Copyright rules start to apply
Today marks the deadline for Member States to transpose the new #EU copyright rules into national law. It protects creativity in the #digital age bringing benefit to creators, businesses & consumers ➡️ https://t.co/ytkoUNcn6z pic.twitter.com/LBw9HYRWnv
— Digital EU (@DigitalEU) June 7, 2021
NEW PODCAST EPISODE IS OUT featuring @victorlugger of @bigmammagroup & @sundayapp_ what do fintech & restaurants have in common? what's the story behind this year's largest European seed round? find out here https://t.co/9E6EPsRI4i
— Roxanne Varza (@roxannevarza) June 7, 2021
Despite some slowdown this year, Athens as a remote work destination is
#6 in most consistently growing hubs the last 5 years
#10 in most consistently growing hubs with affordable real estate
— Greek Startup Pirate (@StartupPirateGR) June 7, 2021
— Andris K. Berzins (@akberzins) June 7, 2021
We are thrilled to welcome Coupleness to the Icebreaker portfolio!
Coupleness has develop a mobile app that helps couples to come closer and grow their relationship through a shared micro-journal.
Read more in : https://t.co/ea0DSMGZap
or in : https://t.co/Qe8jcefbVR
— Icebreaker.vc (@icebreakervc) June 7, 2021
We are delighted to welcome @42born2code at STATION F One of the most famous coding school will offer its own startup program dedicated to its students and will accompany the development of the most promising startups of 42
— STATION F (@joinstationf) June 7, 2021
Congratulations to our portfolio company @airfocus on closing a Series A round! The Germany-based startup raised $5M to further expand its next-gen product management platform https://t.co/6i9pERe7hl #funding #seriesA #techstartup pic.twitter.com/IK9LsPfDPu
— Nauta Capital (@NautaCapital) June 7, 2021
Have you ever heard of ‘fractional executives’? @nanditharag explains why European tech scale-ups should take note of the concept to build stronger teams:
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 7, 2021
"It is our ability to help a very wide range of customers, with carefully crafted insurance products, that really makes us stand out," @MyUrbanJ CEO @JimmySwims tells @sensorpunk at @tech_eu today
#Insurtech @joncard https://t.co/yDLo5bmvfY
— Corinne Card (@fullstoryuk) June 7, 2021
Today we’re celebrating @graphcoreai's 5th birthday. Since 2016, we’ve raised over $730m in funding, delivered two generations of IPU processors and are serving innovators around the world with AI compute based on IPU systems. Here’s to the next 5 years and more. pic.twitter.com/KLd1W6HDzf
— graphcore (@graphcoreai) June 7, 2021
Europe's biggest startup & tech event @VivaTech is coming back on 16-19 June 2021!
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 7, 2021
Another #CrowdCamp is coming up on June 17! Join us in the discussion on how match-funding can help leverage financing opportunities for public authorities and stakeholders – hear all about it from practitioners and policymakers.
Sign up today: https://t.co/vYBcZiKuoA
— EUROCROWD (@eurocrowd) June 7, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.