Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Business intelligence company ZoomInfo has agreed to acquire Israeli startup Chorus.ai, which develops an AI-based system to analyze sales calls, for $575 million.
- London-based financial crime fighter Quantexa has just raised $153 million in Series D funding provided by Warburg Pincus and an allotment of undisclosed blue-chip investors.
- HR Tech platform Remote has raised $150 million in a Series B round led by Accel with participation from existing investors including Sequoia, Index Ventures, Two Sigma, General Catalyst, and Day One Ventures. If that list of backers wasn’t impressive enough, as of today, Remote has achieved unicorn status with a valuation of over $1 billion.
- London-based Eka Ventures, a venture capital firm that backs consumer technology companies enabling sustainable consumption, announced that it has had a final close on a (roughly) €80 million fund.
- Israeli AI medical solutions developer Aidoc today announced the completion of a $66 million Series C financing round led by General Catalyst.
- Warsaw-based VC firm OTB Ventures has announced the launch of a new growth-stage fund totaling €50.5 million. Through this fund, OTB Ventures plans a number of follow-on investments in portfolio companies.
- Female-focused personal shopper platform Lookiero has raised $30 million in a Series C funding round.
- Better HoldCo, a digital platform that helps Americans buy homes, has acquired UK online mortgage broker Trussle Lab. Financial terms were not disclosed.
- UK-based online marketplace OnBuy.com has closed £35 million in Series A+ funding through VC and strategic technology investors.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- France's antitrust watchdog slapped a €500 million fine on Google for failing to comply with the regulator's orders on how to conduct talks with the country's news publishers in a row over copyright.
- The European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) will get a cash injection of €22 billion in the next decade to continue its mission of improving the storage, sharing and reuse of research data across borders and scientific disciplines.
- Germany opened a new space command today, following the lead of other Western countries amid growing concerns over Russian and Chinese military advances in outer space and a surge in satellite launches.
- Today the European Council adopted a regulation on establishing the European High Performance Computing Joint Undertaking (EuroHPC). The regulation paves the way for the development within Europe of the next generation of supercomputers.
- Uber’s boss for Northern Europe has said that other ride-hailing companies in the UK need to recognize their drivers as workers.
- EU lawmakers should make sure they see the full effects of technological change on working patterns before they regulate them, as we are likely to see a continued shift towards remote and flexible employment, policymakers said at an event hosted by EURACTIV on the future of work across the bloc.
- A new report 'Unlocking the crowdfunding potential for the European Structural and Investment Funds' provides an in-depth overview of the current status of the crowdfunding industry in Europe and the potential to use crowdfunding platforms by public authorities.
- London-based VC firm Forward Partners today submitted its application to begin trading its shares on AIM, with plans to raise £36.5 million. Forward Partners will also strike up a deal with PrimaryBid to give ordinary retail investors the chance to take part in its listing.
- Just shy of a month after founding member Luke Lang left Crowdcube, the company has strengthened its senior leadership team. The UK-based crowdfunding platform has appointed David Halsey, Moneysupermarket’s former chief information officer, as its CTO.
Today's Top Tweets
#Copyright: A few takeaways from Google's 500 million euros fine.
1. Google has tried to show its relationships with the press industry have calmed down with deals (NewsCorp, AFP soon), but today's decision casts the U.S. tech giant as an actor flouting the law.
— Laura Kayali (@LauKaya) July 13, 2021
EU can now invest €7B in:
⚡️ Exascale supercomputers & #QuantumComputing
👩💼 Applications for life
👨🏫 Skills & training
🧮 Better processors
🌱 Green computing
— Digital EU 🇪🇺 (@DigitalEU) July 13, 2021
We’re delighted to announce an oversubscribed fundraise - raising £36.5m, taking our first steps towards listing on #AIM 🚀
It’s fantastic to have so many investors, both institutional and retail, share our vision for the future of venture capital 🎉https://t.co/4cRdUpqCrw
— Forward Partners (@ForwardPrt) July 13, 2021
Excellent news from the @EUCouncil!
The regulation on the European High Performance Computing Joint Undertaking @EuroHPC_JU has been adopted.
— Roberto Viola (@ViolaRoberto) July 13, 2021
🚀STATE OF VIEWS #2🚀
After our post #20 @ggarciaesteve and I thought it is a good moment to stop, say thank you and share updated insights into this fun adventure again!
👀180k+ total views
♥️Loving something before it is lovable
— Pol Fañanás (@polfananas) July 13, 2021
We just published our latest research how public authorities can use crowdfunding platforms to distribute and provide matchfunding from European Funds (ESIF) to develop a more inclusive Europe.
— Ronald Kleverlaan (@kleverlaan) July 13, 2021
Welcome to the #AccelFamily, @remote! The passion for global entrepreneurship @Jobvo and @marcelo_lebre share matches ours at Accel, and it's with great enthusiasm we’re partnering to power the future of global work https://t.co/G7P7EAsU3L
— Accel (@Accel) July 13, 2021
How to Answer Personal Questions in VC Interviews:@FCBaillieu and @RiskyTund are back with episode 3 of our VC Interviews 101 mini-series, discussing what Venture Funds are looking for in you and how to build your own narrative.
— Associated (@associated_pod) July 13, 2021
Happy to partner with the great team of https://t.co/oI3fhHGkIp in their €6.3M Series A as they build a better freight transport solution.
Welcome to the Kibo family! 👋https://t.co/B3FnHFqmQR
— Kibo Ventures (@KiboVentures) July 13, 2021
In the new episode of Grow with Tech podcast we’re going on a virtual trip to Kyiv to discover the Ukrainian startup scene.
Our guide is Dominique Piotet, CEO of https://t.co/uCWs7Ayb6U, Ukraine's first Innovation Park. https://t.co/Ceb7O4xXwg
— infosharepl (@infosharepl) July 13, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.