Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Zalando is said to be in the process of taking over the Prosiebensat.1 stake in online perfume shop Flaconi, which could net the seller €800 million.
- UK food delivery scale-up Deliveroo is poised to fire a formal starting gun on a blockbuster stock market flotation before 8 March, making it the first in a string of British tech "unicorns" to go public in 2021.
- Sweden’s CELLINK is to acquire the Finland-based robotics and diagnostic automation company Ginolis for €70 million in a mix of cash and stock.
- Marlin Equity Partners has made an undisclosed ‘growth investment’ in software scale-up Lengow, which has built an e-commerce automation SaaS platform, giving the investment giant majority control in the French company.
- Tel Aviv-based Personetics, a fintech company that uses AI to help financial institutions boost customer personalisation and engagement, has secured a $75 million investment from Warburg Pincus.
- Listed London-based edtech group Learning Technologies has snapped up US edtech company Bridge in a £36.1 million deal.
- Carl Pei’s flegling UK-based technology brand Nothing is now the sole owner of the one-time smartphone brand Essential, which was started by Android founder Andy Rubin.
- Dutch startup Protix has secured €15.5 million to breed insects for aquaculture.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- Uber called on EU regulators to recognise the value of independent contracts in job creation as they consider new rules to protect gig economy workers.
- A new EU directive that will grant consumers the right to collectively sue in cases of mass harm could lead to bigger, pan-European class actions in a few years, and the cases against the likes of Apple and TikTok are being lined up.
- Google Ireland and Google France have agreed to pay a €1.1 million fine after a probe found that Google’s hotel rankings could be misleading for consumers, France’s finance ministry and fraud watchdog said on Monday.
- Iconiq Capital, which manages the wealth of Mark Zuckerberg and other SF elites, wants to hire its first partner in Europe. It's established a UK entity.
- American Dream: The European fintechs (hoping to) conquer the US.
- A UK investor group has issued a new set of guidelines for the venture capital and private equity industries to tackle their well-documented diversity problem.
- What the US can teach Europe about privacy.
- Dutch online supermarket Picnic has doubled its revenue and eyes expansion to France.
- Vittorio Colao, the former CEO of Vodafone Group, has been appointed as Italy’s minister for technological innovation and digital transition.
Today's Top Tweets
📣 Thank you @HarryStebbings for inviting me on the 20VC podcast, great moment of reflection.
Talked a bit about our Wunderlist exit to Microsoft, our mission at Pitch, angel investing, product design and more.https://t.co/mWdjoyWixB
— Christian Reber (@christianreber) February 15, 2021
🇪🇺=$329.8 million 🇺🇸=$6 billion
Europe touts its data protection rules as the "gold standard." But when it comes to enforcement, it's got nothing on the U.S.
w/@markscott82 https://t.co/xD4L0Z66qC pic.twitter.com/avAojZmrLU
— Vincent Manancourt (@vmanancourt) February 15, 2021
What’s coming up in EU #Tech? 🇪🇺
🧑🤝🧑 Better conditions for platform workers
📱 Roaming Review
⚡ Europe’s #Digital Decade: 2030 targets
🏭 EU industrial strategy
💳 Secure #EU e-ID#StayTuned #DigitalEU annoucements coming soon 👀 pic.twitter.com/C6xentvW73
— DigitalSingleMarket (@DSMeu) February 15, 2021
2020 by the numbers, breaking down our deals, evaluating our portfolio & analyzing the exits! Check it out 👇
Sneak Peak: get a virtual tour of our offices! Elaia’s 2020 year in review & the sunny road ahead by Xavier Lazarus https://t.co/YhCGPeZihr #VentureCapital #FrenchTech
— @Elaia_Partners (@Elaia_Partners) February 15, 2021
Yandex.Rovers have completed over 1,500 deliveries to customers, since regular delivery service was launched at the end of 2020. These deliveries were made autonomously and irrespective of weather conditions that vary widely in Russia. https://t.co/9O2zbSzFw0 pic.twitter.com/8T9CFafr5C
— YandexAI (@YandexAI) February 15, 2021
It’s exactly a decade since @Crowdcube, the UK crowdfunding platform, launched. Since then, it has accrued over 1M members and has helped businesses raise a total of more than £1B. ⭐️ We interview cofounder @lukelang. ⭐️https://t.co/vLDLaf1zPc
— Maddyness UK (@Maddyness_UK) February 15, 2021
When @robinwauters asks if you wanna do a clubhouse, you say yes.
First time chatting - “#Startups and Media: tips from journos and #PR pros” with @jameshurley & @AyeletNoff
Wednesday, 17 Feb at 5:00 pm CET on @joinclubhouse. Join us! https://t.co/uTG2hNT1wc
— Cathy White (@cathywhite10) February 15, 2021
5,000,000 customers, wow! 🎉
A huge thanks to each and every one of you ♥️
— Monzo (@monzo) February 15, 2021
I'm delighted to let you all know that this year's #RiDaysEU will be held on 23 & 24 June!
Our flagship event will once again bring our community together to debate and shape the future of research and innovation in Europe and beyond.
— Jean-Eric Paquet (@JEPaquetEU) February 15, 2021
— Allied for Startups (@Allied4Startups) February 15, 2021
🚨🍨Scoop with some help from @CallumBurroughs: Iconiq Capital, which manages the wealth of Mark Zuckerberg and other SF elites, wants to hire its first partner in Europe. It's established a UK entity. https://t.co/3ShnXwI8tP
— Shona Ghosh (@shonaghosh) February 15, 2021
Discover more about existing #EUfunded research & innovation, and soon to be launched 🆕 initiatives to fight cancer: https://t.co/XSVcYwYXJZ#InvestEUresearch 🇪🇺 #EUHealthResearch pic.twitter.com/FyaSP0AGkK
— Jean-Eric Paquet (@JEPaquetEU) February 15, 2021
The important work of the #NokiaFoundation continues with Hannu Kauppinen as the Chairman. Congratulations! Since its establishment in 1995, @FoundationNokia has been a significant promoter of scientific research and education in the Finnish #ICT sector. https://t.co/I15t4l1A6q pic.twitter.com/M7iTqiMb6c
— Nokia (@nokia) February 15, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.