Here's what happened today in European Tech.
- Prosus — the international assets holding arm of South African multinational Naspers, has announced today that it has acquired a majority stake in GoodHabitz – a provider of online training for businesses. The deal was completed for approx €212 million.
- Oslo’s SNÖ Ventures has launched its second fund, targeting $100 million to invest in early-stage Nordic companies. The first closing of the SNÖ Fund II has already been held, with LPs including Peter Thiel, Karl Christian Agerup (co-founder of Northzone), Eilert Hanoa (CEO of Kahoot!) and others.
- UK-based alternative lender ThinCats has secured a £160 million strategic investment from Wafra Capital Partners (WCP).
- Israel-founded, Palo Alto-based professional website builder for digital agencies and SaaS companies, Duda, has raised $50 million in a Series D round led by Claridge IL and existing investors Susquehanna Growth Equity and Vintage Investment Partners.
- Irish e-commerce ordering, shipping, and delivery process optimiser Scurri has raised €9 million in a funding round led by Gresham House Ventures.
- We also tracked a large number of (other) European tech funding rounds and M&A transactions, all of which we are putting in a handy list for you on Friday afternoon in our weekly roundup newsletter (note: the full list is for paying customers only). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
- The US has warned the EU against pursuing “protectionist” technology policies that exclusively target American companies, ahead of Joe Biden’s first presidential visit to Brussels.
- Big Tech is likely to face more privacy enforcements — and more fines — in the European Union, thanks to a major ruling by the union's highest court in a case involving Facebook.
- The fintech giant Wise hopes to press the button within days on a long-awaited public flotation that will cement its status as one of Britain’s most valuable startups of the last decade.
- Over in the UK, the CMA has launched a market study into Apple’s and Google’s mobile ecosystems over concerns they have market power which is harming users and other businesses.
- Klarna's comparison shopping service went live in 21 markets across Europe, offering partner retailers an attractive offer, an increased customer reach, all with ready-to-purchase intent.
- British inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee is selling the original code for the World Wide Web as a non-fungible token (NFT) with a starting bid of $1,000. Digitally-signed source code documents written by the computer scientist three decades ago will go under the hammer next week.
- The growing threat of European tech regulation on US innovation.
- MEPs have called for beefed-up EU security against cyber threats in a resolution on the bloc’s Cyber Security Strategy, known as EUCSS, for the digital decade.
- The Bank of England (BoE) governor Andrew Bailey went to great lengths on Tuesday afternoon to stress that digital currencies will not get a regulatory "free pass" in the future, despite their potential for innovation.
Today's Top Tweets
Exclusive: Wise, the payments app which has grown into one of Britain’s most valuable fintech companies, has drawn up plans to launch a London stock market flotation as soon as this week that some insiders believe could value it at up to £9bn. https://t.co/JVbTEVdjIx
— Mark Kleinman (@MarkKleinmanSky) June 15, 2021
Today is the day! The #ScaleUpEurope members are meeting in Paris to unveil their recommendations and renewed ambitions for a stronger, more integrated #tech scene pic.twitter.com/9XmBeMiA9c
— #ScaleUpEurope (@ScaleUpEuropeEN) June 15, 2021
This is why the EU Startup Nations Standard is important. #NotOptional
cc @ThierryBreton @vestager @ViolaRoberto @StartUpEU @PZilgalvis @Allied4Startups @DigitalEU @robinwauters @johnthornhillft @mikebutcher https://t.co/ZF9RsmuBRb
— vojtech (@vojtech) June 15, 2021
In today's podcast, we discuss the tech ecosystem in France — just in time for @VivaTech — with @katborlongan and @obrien.
Come for the insights, stay for @sensorpunk's guitar solo! https://t.co/rckca27KHs
— Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 15, 2021
Quick Update: I have moved to London to pursue a tech opportunity in Europe that is incredible and only getting better. I am pumped to work with amazing partners like @LucianaLix @_georgerobson and @biad_anas. We are excited to partner with even more amazing founders in Europe!
— Matt Miller (@mcmiller00) June 14, 2021
Today, French President @EmmanuelMacron will receive 20 recommendations to build European tech giants, delivered by @ScaleUpEuropeEN, a group of Europe’s leading tech founders, investors, researchers, CEOs and govt officials. https://t.co/lIfEJXo2JX#VentureCapital #startups pic.twitter.com/n6Tj8otxTs
— Invest Europe (@InvestEuropeEU) June 15, 2021
We are pleased to announce that we have successfully raised £111m.
“The capital we raised today will allow Draper Esprit to continue to back Europe’s best entrepreneurs for as long as it takes them to achieve outsized success.” CEO, Martin Davis https://t.co/tZMAV1k5kC pic.twitter.com/BSQKCrdOUS
— Draper Esprit (@DraperEsprit) June 15, 2021
Can Europe Become the Hottest Place for Investment?
Our very own @SiaHouchangnia will share his take on Thu 17th June @VivaTech alongside @JonUsero & @RaniaBelkahia at 5pm CET #VivaTech pic.twitter.com/9noymXY11n
— seedcamp (@seedcamp) June 15, 2021
Moonfire is growing! We're looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to work with @mikearpaia to help us deliver on our core technology roadmap.
See the job posting here: https://t.co/h8BBdveY0o
Read more about what we're looking for on the blog: https://t.co/Q2i5BDdsvW
— Mattias Ljungman (@Ljungman) June 15, 2021
Me and many others are criticizing the European tech space not being fast enough.
Yet in this case, I would like to say that such timelines are pretty common, and sets the right expectations.
I’d be happy to see how fast the LinkedIn / Microsoft deal (26b) went over the table. https://t.co/fidCEphhwq
— Dmytro (@indoor47) June 15, 2021
'Against all odds' w @UiPath's #CEO & #Founder @danieldines: Win with your strengths; don't let your weaknesses stay in front of you. Everything can be overcome in life with the right level of effort. Invest the time. https://t.co/uBqoaHlc5Q
— Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) June 15, 2021
European Insurtech startups now have a combined enterprise value of €23B, a more than 5x increase from €4B in 2016.
2021 is proving to be a turning point for European Insurtech. See more on #insurtech w/@mundi_ventures https://t.co/g0cXJZ72wO pic.twitter.com/JFDQB8ePlI
— Dealroom.co (@dealroomco) June 15, 2021
Congratulations to portfolio company @KaizoHQ, who have raised an additional $4 million in Seed round extension led by @FortinoCapital.
Read more in @tech_eu by @sensorpunk https://t.co/7Sp0jZXNsV pic.twitter.com/iUHNV5teXt
— Partech (@PartechPartners) June 15, 2021
4 years ago today we made our first calls, sent the first SMS and connected with mobile data free of extra charges from anywhere in the EU.
Now, we are working on extending and improving the #roaming experience
Read more ➡️ https://t.co/VIZg3yjLvm pic.twitter.com/MQPnXnMpE0
— Digital EU (@DigitalEU) June 15, 2021
We just closed a funding round at $200+M valuation and we hit $1B traded - up and to the right
Great job, team! https://t.co/n0vR2Y7avD
— Kristjan Kangro (@KangroKristjan) June 15, 2021
We are delighted to have now launched Balderton Growth I
Read the post from our General Partner, Rana Yared, explaining why we are so excited about the European ecosystem, and it was the right time to extend our strategy https://t.co/GiWJVOIR6U pic.twitter.com/3cIHED2BRz
— Balderton Capital (@balderton) June 15, 2021
One Million Digital Subscriptions: Axel Springer News Offerings Reach Record Level https://t.co/QuIx3BHwEV pic.twitter.com/KLir14jEgc
— Axel Springer SE (@axelspringer_EN) June 15, 2021
When I moved to Scotland in 2018, I was so excited about the tech ecosystem here because of the reputation of this programme.
CivTech continues to be an impressive model for how government/ public authorities can work constructively with entrepreneurs to solve problems together. https://t.co/czuT9pQYEZ
— Natalie Novick (@nnovick) June 15, 2021
Tell us what you think about this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.
Would you like to write the first comment?Login to post comments